Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Slingerland Snare

Hi! It's me again asking about another of my eBay conquests :)

Ok, this one i won just now (I'm drunk and that's not good being out on eBay bidding..haha).

The owner of this Slingerland chrome over maple snare is unsure of the model name and the year it was developed.

Does anyone know?

Here's how the seller describes the snare:

"This is part of my collection.I have sold my slingerland kit so now the snare goes.This is a chrome on maple drum. Im pretty sure it is 5.5. to 6 inches.It looks closer to 6.This may be the Buddy Rich model as,according to the slingy book it was also avaliable as chrome clad.It has an oversized snare wire which has been replaced by a pearl one at a cost of ?21.TDR throw off.The butt plate is stamped "super 8 4".I dont know what this means.Help in I.D. would be appreciated.The buddy snare was avaliable with different hoops.This has the non standard ones.It could also be the 73-77 delux concert king...again unsure.This drum is in great condition and must be rare..its the only one ive seen.What I do know is that this is a great sounding drum and would be an asset to any collection.This is a beutiful made in the USA drum.I will ship overseas.Please ask for a price and I will get one.The quoted price applies to UK only.Sorry about the crap pics..mail for better ones"

Check this link for images:

http://web.telia.com/~u36406410/

I paid ? 123.00 = $230.209 (cheaper than the Dynasonic COB without original frame I bought earlier)

Did I make a bad business??

Really greatful for answers!!

/Rickard "the drunk eBay bidder from Sweden" Olsson

Posted on 17 years ago

Grattis med din nye virvel. Er ingen Slingerland expert (har bara haft en kobber for mange ?r sen) men interessant att der en till fr?n Sverige som tittar herind (er inte svensk sj?lv men baseret i Stockholm).

DR

Posted on 17 years ago

Well, that is one interesting snare drum.

Stick Chopper Hoops, TDR strainer and butt, Black and Silver badge, Chrome wrap wood shell.

Then I see two holes to the left of the strainer which is probably the tone control and one extra grommet to the right of the strainer?

I can't say I have ever seen that type of butt side either

There is something "unique" about this drum and DrCJW is best to answer it.

I have to bow out on the exact answer on this drum.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Not being fully aware of any of the finer details of the drum I can say that $230 sounds like a good price.Judging from the photos the drum looks to be in pretty much minto condition.There is a local music shop I frequent with a Slingerland New Old Stock metal snare hanging in a back corner of one room ( tucked away from anyone unless they are as skinny as I am ) and its priced at $200 which isn't bad.Thats the general price range for drums like Slingerland,Ludwig,Gretch which are in pristine condition.But as David said DrCJW would be able to give the best knowledge of the drum to you.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 17 years ago

Ok, thanks alot! Maybe I should PM DrCJW then..

Posted on 17 years ago

I think that's a Buddy rich model from the mid '70s. The straight up hoops were an option that Buddy favored. Those hoops were also available on the earlier 4 x 14 BR model. I think those rollers on the TDR strainer were added or modified, as those tended to fall out. You got a very good deal on the drum.

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Rickard:

Rich K. has it (including the non-factory rollers). Here's a few more fun wrinkles.

Your drum looks to be circa 1974. At that time the Slingerland snare drum carrying the Buddy Rich name was the Model 176 Buddy Rich 4x14. The first non-marching TDR cataloged by Slingerland was the Model 173 Deluxe Concert King 5x14, first appearing in the 1973 catalog. So your drum technically is this No. 173 Deluxe Concert King. But...

Buddy Rich started using a 5x14 (actually a bit over 5) Deluxe Concert King - with straight edge hoops as on your drum but no factory tone control - in 1973. Buddy liked it well enough and in 1976 Slingerland began offering the Model 190 Buddy Rich 5x14 TDR, with optional straight edge hoops, though with tone control standard unless specified otherwise.

Basically drummers always saw what Buddy Rich was using and wanted it. So during 1973 - 1975 quite a few #173 Deluxe Concert Kings with straight edge hoops were ordered.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

Ok! Thank's for all the replies! I just need to straighten one thing out: What are the rollers on the strainer part? I'm not that good at drum terminology in english :D And is it the rollers that's been replaced by new ones or the whole strainer?

Thanks alot..

Best Regards

Rickard

Posted on 17 years ago

Ok, I think i got it, the rollers are the "adjustment screws" or the "potentiometers", right?

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"][/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]ach:

Sorry for the quick-speak. Picture on the left is of your drum. Next picture on the right is what the normal factory TDR plate on this particular model looks like for wire snares. The concert model was also available with gut snares, for which the TDR plate was modified. This is shown in the last two pictures. But you appear to have a rather unique variant of the standard TDR plate.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here