Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Slingerland Snare Wire Input

I have a 63' Artist Model Slingerland snare drum (light blue oyster pearl) that I got in a swap that I've started using almost exclusively. This drum sounds great in my opinion, but here is the snag. It came with set of snare wires that I think are not appropriate to the drum. The wire set is a 20 strand with very yellowed plastic ends and pat. #2517124 stamped on one end. The wires seem to be very small gage and a couple have started stretching out and I feel that the snares should be replaced. It probably came with a 16 strand set originally and I am debating if I should I go back that way at the risk of losing what I am hearing in the drum now. The next question is do I try to go vintage or should I consider one of the Puresound snare sets. Your thoughts on this will be appreciated. Gary

Posted on 16 years ago

Gary ... I would suggest a nice set of Puresound wires or even Pearl. (very inexpensive and great sounding) I myself went through a 20 or 42 strand crisis in my drumming life, and to be quite honest ..... there is NO DIFFERENCE IN SOUND, ATTACK OR PRESENCE NO MATTER HOW MANY WIRES ARE IN THE SET!!! Not one bit of difference. (I based this on using identical guage wire) I found, that both on metal and wood shelled snare drums, the sound, sensitivity and such was not changed at all between a 20 and a 42 strand set. What would the difference be between 16 and 20??? I would have to say nothing at all. I guess it would come down to whether you want the 100% vintage (possibly a 16 strand like you mentioned) or just what plain sounds nice to you. :) Good luck!!

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the reply 'Just Me'. I think I am going to go with the Puresound vintage series snare set which is recommended for the Radio King. Regards,

Gary

Posted on 16 years ago

:2Cents::2Cents:

From just_me

Gary ... I would suggest a nice set of Puresound wires or even Pearl. (very inexpensive and great sounding) I myself went through a 20 or 42 strand crisis in my drumming life, and to be quite honest ..... there is NO DIFFERENCE IN SOUND, ATTACK OR PRESENCE NO MATTER HOW MANY WIRES ARE IN THE SET!!! Not one bit of difference. (I based this on using identical guage wire) I found, that both on metal and wood shelled snare drums, the sound, sensitivity and such was not changed at all between a 20 and a 42 strand set. What would the difference be between 16 and 20??? I would have to say nothing at all. I guess it would come down to whether you want the 100% vintage (possibly a 16 strand like you mentioned) or just what plain sounds nice to you. :) Good luck!!

I respectfully disagree! (Not with your personal experience, of course.) 42 strand snare wires cover about DOUBLE the surface area of 20 strand wires. Interestingly, this has the opposite effect of the "more snare sound" that many drummers seek by moving to 42 strands, because the greater coverage results in a dryer sound (i.e. the extra wires muffle the reso head). In contrast, fewer wires (e.g. 16 or 20 strand) results in more sustain in the drum itself because the reso head is, well, more free to resonate. This of course means that the snare wires will vibrate with/against the head for a longer duration. Some might perceive this longer duration as resulting in "more snare wire sound". There is of course more snare wire "action" from 42 strands; it's just for a shorter duration. There's no better or worse distinction, but I find there's a difference. It's worth experimenting with to see what suits your particular drum and tastes. :2Cents:

Posted on 15 years ago

I recently purchased two sets of Puresound wires made for the Slingerland snare and the Ludwig snare and they are both outstanding. My snare is NOT the same snare you are using. I'm commenting on the Puresound snares more than anything else here. Excellent snares. So, if you decide to go that route - good stuff.

Posted on 15 years ago

Check out the link to snare wire audio samples that I posted in the "Snare Wire Advice" thread. Cool1

Posted on 15 years ago

I think the wires you have are vintage. I have a 68 Pioneer that came with the same type of wires that you are describing, and they are original.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here