Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Slingerland snare - student model?

Hello to all, please help me with this snare. Inside has M and what looks like maybe the beginning of AUG, not much help. Six lugs, stick saver rims, throw off has three * * * holes to attach snares, grommet is dry and cracked, blackish on the sides, doesn't look like it was ever amber or red in color - almost is cork-like now. Serial number (for what it's worth) is 107810. Muffler knob control on this one is small (I have another late 60's snare with a bigger knob). I know it's not very rare but would love to narrow down ID info if possible.

I LOVE this forum and thanks in advance for any comments.

1968 Slingerland Red Sparkle
Posted on 15 years ago

Just based on clues from the Dr.'s pages and Rob Cook's The Slingerland Book.. I would guess Deluxe Student Model #162 (laquered finish) 1973.

The Concert Hall looks like other 6 lug option but they were only made in 6.5" versions.. yours appears to be 5.5" although my eyeballs are not calibrated.

Student model went muffler, grommet, strainer.. Concert Hall was grommet, strainer, muffler.

Great drum... that finish sure has held up and the chrome looks great!

Hopefully a Slingy expert will jump in give a few pointers that will nail it down.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

That's from around '67. Deluxe student model. Go to the Dr's Slingerland articles on this site for date graph and rapid strainer article.

Posted on 15 years ago

I thought that badge was Black and Silver... must be Black and Bronze?? I guess the lettering isn't right for a Black and Silver.

I'd make a lousy detective.

Posted on 15 years ago

It is a black and silver badge... The Dr shows that starting in 1970 and the serial number falls between 1970 and 1975. He shows that badge as a transition badge.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey David... that's why I stuck that 1973 on the first guess I took..

But... Rich K.'s post sent me looking in Rob's book and on the badge page for a black and silver with the S shaped like a black and brass and I couldn't find one in the book or on the page. The one on the Dr.'s serial number graph is pretty small and I couldn't tell for sure the shape of that S... So I'm thinking hmmm.. the light must be funny in that picture.

So hey jimmyc... I definately learned something new from your drum.. black and silver transition badge. THANKS David!!

Posted on 15 years ago

I thought the badge was black and gold. Wouldn't a '70s drum have the larger tone control knob? Strange...

Posted on 15 years ago

Yep, I agree, that smaller knob should not technically be there, but it could have been changed and or just a Slingerland way of doing things...

David

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Well, the color in the badge photo is very "unsaturated" and I think is maybe faking us out. But as Rich IDs it, that looks like a black and brass Niles badge, Blue Silver Duco, August 1966 Deluxe Student Model, consistent serial number for that month, clear maple interior with the correct M stamp and small tone control knob. Maybe jimmyC can verify the badge color. In any case, nice.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 15 years ago

Hi folks, yes, it is definitely the black and gold badge. Hope this pic looks better.

1 attachments
1968 Slingerland Red Sparkle
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here