Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Slingerland Snare ID - Help!

Hello all you Slingy guys! Ludwig guy looking for some help here. I recently picked up what appears to be a 70's Slingerland 14" snare (8 lug model, complete), and what appears to be a Slingerland shell with lugs (10 lug model, incomplete, missing badge, hoops, throwoff, butt plate). The complete snare sounded pretty good to me, so I bought it and got the extra 10 lug shell as a throw in. Both are chrome over steel (already checked with a magnet). Anyway, I've attached some pictures of both and I was hoping you guys can tell me what I have here. Thanks! Cool1

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Here are the pictures of the incomplete 10 lug shell.

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Well, given the lack of replies, I'm beginning to think that what I've shown you guys isn't all that exciting to you. I'm still trying to figure out what the 8 lug snare is (name, model, etc.). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the 10 lugger isn't a Slingerland at all! From what I can figure, it may in fact be a Stewart copy of a Slingerland style snare. Does this make any sense to anyone? Any opinions/ideas on where to find parts to make it complete again? Is it even worth my time/effort?

Posted on 14 years ago

The 3 lines on the 10 lugger made me think "Gene Krupa Soundking" but I am pretty sure those only came in brass, and the size of the holes look a little funny to me. I am by no means an expert though.

The 8 lug drum is a standard COS student model snare from the 70's. Nice sounding drum, but not super valuable in terms of collecting.

Hope that helps! I am sure someone will come along shortly that knows more.

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

The Slingerland is the "Festival" model.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks Adam and Rich! I got a bit excited there when I saw the 3 lines on the other shell, but I'm pretty much convinced now that it's a Stewart. Any ideas on where to find parts? Does anyone have some lying around? ...Anyone? Sorry guys, for some reason I can't stand to have an incomplete drum. I guess it's something that's stuck with me since childhood... I feel the need to put Humpty Dumpty together again :)

Posted on 14 years ago

Those look llike MIJ Star lugs (the Stewarts were Star stencils) to my peepers, and I've cleaned more than enough of them to say that. As for hoops, I'd go to www.drumfactorydirect.com and buy some el cheapo 1.6mm ones for like 15 ea and be done rather than chasing the Star ones all over the internet because let's face it, the chrome was not that great on them...and that little Humpty will sound quite bumpity when you get it together againYes Sir.

**12.34 ea side!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks jonnistix! That's a huge help. Any ideas on where I can ger a throwoff and butt plate or would you just throw on anything that fits at this point?

Posted on 14 years ago

Email Mikey777 from the forum.... he may be able to fix you up with a strainer for a reasonable price that fits....

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

You guy's are right the 10 lug drum is a M.I.J. snare most likey Star or could be a number of other names..Yes i have the strainer butt plate and the muffler to for the drum..P.M. me if you like..or better to email me my P.M. box is full all of the time..Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here