Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Slingerland Snare drum question

Hello! What a wonderful site...my husband and I have been searching the web for info about a snare drum that we purchased and I think we have found the right spot! The Slingerland drum we have is complete with the original case, sticks and stand. The badge on the drum is a black & brass Niles oval badge. We believe that it is an aluminum shell? Shell is not smooth and shiny, it has a type of flecked pattern and is more matte. It has 6 double ended lugs. One side of drum has printing which says Slingerland, Sound King Plastic Snare. Stand also is marked Slingerland and both sticks have Slingerland 3A stamped on them. Case is in pretty good shape. Metal is spoty with rust and inside paper is peeled at case edges. We have photo's if any one needs to see them. We are just wondering about what time period this is from, we are guessing the early sixty's? What about a price range? Nothing set in stone of course...we are just curious.

Thanks to anyone who can give us any info,

Posted on 18 years ago

i can only narrow age range down to 1960-1969. i'm thrown by the label saying "Sound King Plastic". never heard of that.... the 6 lugs scream student model. are the rims flat with clips or flanged? sorry if that question is too technical. but even more technical: is the strainer the rapid or zoomatic? zoomatic looks like a, um, i don't know an alien with a big nose, a rounded top and one antenna whereas rapid looks like- oh i know on rapid fine tune adjust is on top and on zoomatic fine tune adjust is on the face. jeesh.

is there a picture database online somewhere where samples of these kind of things can be easily accessed?

it's probably in this site if it's anywhere....david?

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi...your drum is an aluminum student model from the 60s. It has chrome over brass hoops and what's called the "rapid" strainer. Sound King Plastic is what Slingerland had printed on their heads, so the drum has its original heads. These are very common drums. Although many of us use them as "players", the 6 lug student models, especially the aluminum ones, don't have much value. I'd say you drum on ebay would bring 75 to $100. The stand, case and sticks aren't really worth that much. Your package is an excellent deal for a beginner / student.

Posted on 18 years ago

yeah, duh, i woke up this morning thinking- oh, the drum HEAD says "sound king plastic snare".

so, what rich said.

except, honestly, i'd be more interested in the stand, case and sticks than the drums personally. not that i want to buy them, just sayin'....

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here