Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Slingerland snare drum question

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out more about this drum that I acquired recently. I've pretty much figured out that it is a slingerland from 1951 (according to the drum badge page on this site) but I'm not sure if it is a radio king or a different branch of slingerland. I'd like to find out so it will be easier to locate the right strainer.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Posted on 18 years ago

It is a Gene Krupa Radio King and you are looking for a 3-point strainer. Look at the Slingerland on this page. Click the image to go to the hardware page. You are also missing the plate in front of the tone arm. I have one of those in o.k. condition that will work for you. I'm guessing the drum is later then 51 since the 51 catalog does not show the Sound King Lugs. You also need some new hoops and those can be found on Ebay, in fact I might have a set of brass hoops that would work for that drum.

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/hardware/slingerland/slingerland_capri_pearl_snare_th.jpg[/IMG]

The problem is the strainers are becoming rather expensive on Ebay and if you are lucky you can get one for about $75, but more then likely it will cost around $100 or more.

Posted on 18 years ago

I believe the lug you are talking about was the NEW Slingerland lug for 1955... ( Sound King ) Those have remained in place 'till this day. So, yes, your drum would have to be at least a '55...

Posted on 18 years ago

I was under the impression that the old radio kings had "radio king" etched in the rim. I suppose that this was not the case for all radio kings?

Anyway, I figured it was the 3 point strainer that I was looking for. Not only are they expensive, but they are hard to find! I'll have to keep my ear to the ground.

As for the plate in front of the tone arm (for the outer part of the shell) and the brass rims, I would be interested in these. Would you be able to send me pictures and prices through the forum or by email? [email]slingerlandfordave@yahoo.ca[/email]

I'm also looking for the metal piece on the butt side bracket that clamps on the string to stretch the snares. Would you have something like this as well? I can send a picture of this if it helps.

Posted on 18 years ago

This is the rear side of the drum.

2 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here