Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Slingerland Snare Drum ID

Hello,

Great place you've got here. I am looking forward to reading the loads of info. I'm fairly new to the vintage drum game. Here is one drum I have. It is a Slingerland, and only has the name etched on the throw off, with Made in Chicago underneath also. Could anybody tell me what decade it is from and what they think it is made of? Unfortunately, the butt plate has been replaced as well as some of the clips, but never-the-less, it is still a cool drum and I take it out to gigs once and a while and it sound great! Glad to be here!

http://ca.geocities.com/rochq43/oldS.jpg

I can's seem to load the pic, so here is the link.

Posted on 16 years ago

Welcome to the forum!

Well.. here is what I can throw out based on pictures in Rob Cooks, "The Slingerland Book."

I believe that throw off is the 674 Shur-Grip which appears went into use in 1934... (there are some interesting notes regarding the origins of the design).

Mr. Cook also indicates Slingerland drums all had tube lugs up to 1934.

I believe your drum to be a 1934 Junior Model snare with an early (4) point Shur-Grip throw off.... a (3) point model was introduced later and used until 1957.

That's my best shot.... I'm not sure I have been right on one of these yet... so don't take it to the bank until somebody smarter than be weighs in. :)

Mr. Cook.. again, your book rocks!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Yeah, it's probably a 1930s drum and it's nickel plated brass.

Cape cod polishing cloths will make it shine.

Posted on 16 years ago

Six lugger. Love those. Looks like a 6.5x14 I'm guessing. Clean it up, that's a nice snare.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here