Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Slingerland Snare Drum ID?

I am trying to ID this Slingerland snare drum that I have. It is the first snare drum that I learned to play on and I got it used back in the 70's used. It's a Slingerland 14x6-1/2, chrome over brass with 10 lugs. It looks like a Radio King but, it has a strainer that has a connecting rod that runs through the middle of the drum to a strainer on the other side to another strainer.The snares lift on and off the snare on both sides. Is it called a super-sesitive strainer? I have been looking all over the net and haven't found a Slingerland snare drum with this set up. The serial number on the drum is 115824. Just curious to find out what kind of snare it is.

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

I am trying to ID this Slingerland snare drum that I have. It is the first snare drum that I learned to play on and I got it used back in the 70's used. It's a Slingerland 14x6-1/2, chrome over brass with 10 lugs. It looks like a Radio King but, it has a strainer that has a connecting rod that runs through the middle of the drum to a strainer on the other side to another strainer.The snares lift on and off the snare on both sides. Is it called a super-sesitive strainer? I have been looking all over the net and haven't found a Slingerland snare drum with this set up. The serial number on the drum is 115824. Just curious to find out what kind of snare it is.

It was called the "Super Sound King". Yours looks like it dates to late 1973. (See the graph on thsi site.)

In the 1976 catalog, you snare listed for $165. Only chrome Super Sound Kings are shown in the catalog, but I know of one in blue sparkle.

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanx Rich! I am currently trying to find snare wires for this snare. Any idea where I can find them?

Posted on 16 years ago

Regarding replacement snares, I'd go to a good drum shop and find an extended set, or a set for a 15" drum and then plan on drilling some holes in the metal tabs. I once need a set for a clamshell strainer, and a set of Premiers worked perfectly (after I put the holes in...).

Posted on 16 years ago

If you don't find what you want at the drum shop... (always nice to support your local shop).

You might give these guys a try... they seem to have a pretty extensive vintage line. I purchased a new set of snares for an RK project from them.. it was fairly painless.

http://www.puresoundpercussion.com/PuresoundVintage.Page?ActiveID=1343

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Hello!

So, is this one also Super Sound King?

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=6820

Thanks.

Fabula

Posted on 15 years ago

Negative. The strainer is completely wrong for a Super Sound King. It is a 12 lugger and was birthed early 80's. The strainer has been the ID issue all along on this one. The drill holes are not correct for it to be a Super Sound King.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here