Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Slingerland Snare Drum ID

A long time ago, I got my hands on a frankenstein of a set. It includes a full three rack of Tama toms (I'm told they're from the 60's), an ancient cymbal stand, a Slingerland kick (of indeterminate age, but at least 70's or earlier) a 1943 Slingerland bass pedal, and a very interesting Slingerland snare drum. These all came form my former band director, Don Dupont, who played trombone with the Glenn Miller Band with his father Ron. He knows nothing about drums, and can't remember where any of the pieces came from (other than the pedal, which was his father's). I play them all regularly, and love them well.

But on to the present day. The idiotic bass player I live with snapped the head on my snare. Being a vintage drum, with similarly vintage heads, this is a pretty big deal. This brought up and important issue: I have absolutely no idea what model my snare is. It's 5.5" X 14", has a '56-'59 badge, no tone control, 3-point strainer, and a stick-saver hoop. I know next to nothing about vintage drums myself, so I'd appreciate an ID. Don thinks it might be a custom, but I have my doubts as to his memory.

And on a separate note, if anyone knows a source for slingerland snare heads, I'd love to replace mine.

P.S. Pictures soon to follow.

Posted on 16 years ago

[IMG]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/Atomic-Barrage/IMG_0310.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/Atomic-Barrage/IMG_0314.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/Atomic-Barrage/IMG_0311.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 16 years ago

I think that is a brass shell drum that was listed in the Slingerland catalog between 1958-1962 as the Barrett Deems model.Cool1

That was the only metal shell snare with the three point strainer that I could identify... I just did a little digging around in Rob Cook's book on Slingerland drums. They were available in nickle or chrome until 1958 then in chrome only.

I think that three point strainer is what makes it the Barrett Deems model.

I would think that is a very desirable snare but I'm NO expert...

Ebay is going to be your source for Slingy heads.

Hopefully somebody else can confirm or correct my identification for you.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Oh sh*t! That's awesome! I met him once, at Andy's in Chicago. I love that guy. :D

Posted on 16 years ago

Hmmm...

Can you get photos of the butt side? and also a side shot of the strainer?

Slingerland did make a brass shell "Radio King" with 3-point strainer and extension bridges and also what they called the brass shelled snare drum with that strainer and no bridges..

Based on the Dr's Slingerland information the Chicago Badge without the looped S in Slingerland puts the drum in the 59-61 range. A better shot of the strainer will also dial that date in...

David

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Stupid question, but...

Butt side?

Posted on 16 years ago

The opposite end of the throwoff where the snare wires are attached...basically, the little clamping device is called the ...*ahem*..."butt".Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

This it?

[IMG]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/Atomic-Barrage/IMG_0315.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks to whoever for the thread name change, by the way.

Posted on 16 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]With the onset of World War II and the domestic metal use restrictions, Slingerland stopped making metal shell snare drums. This situation carried for quite a while, and there wound up being no Slingerland metal shell snare drums at all made from 1942 through 1957. The "New Brass Shell Snare Drum" of 1958, as pictured by David, got Slingerland back into metal shells. Jim correctly points out that this drum got "Barrett Deems" added to its name, though this did not occur until 1961. It was cataloged in 1961 as the "New Chrome Shell Snare Drum Barrett Deems Model", though it still came in both chrome and lacquered brass finishes.

Atomic_Barrage - your drum was made in 1960. It looks to be quite correct BTW - including the Slingerland Weather All plastic heads newly contemporary at the time - as well as even the snare wires and cord. This originality along with the relative rarity of the model makes your drum quite a little catch. And yes the plain narrow butt plate for the snare wires on this model is correct.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 16 years ago

DrCJW,

If you get a chance.... what on the drum pinned it to 1960 for you?

Thanks so much for jumping on this forum and also for publishing the articles on the site that you have!! Just incredibly generous of you to share that amount of information for free. I think I speak for a lot of us who are new to this that sharing the info you do really keeps the energy and interest level high.

THANKS!!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here