Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Slingerland Snare Beds and Clamshell Strainer

I have a late 50's-early 60's Slingerland Solid Snare with the Clamshell Strainer. I just got a set of Puresound Snares that are for this very drum. After installing the snares, I noticed that they press very tightly against the snare beds when engaged.

When I first purchased the drum it had another set of snares on it, and they were attached at each end with the normal screw, but there were three small washers under each screw.

A few questions here:

Has anyone heard of this problem?

Does anyone have the actual snares that came with this drum or know where to get them?

Any suggestions on a remedy besides the washers?

Thanks,

Stixofire

Posted on 16 years ago

Don't know if it will help but this is what mine looks like with Puresound wire on it.

1 attachments
Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks, Jim. It looks about the same. You don't find that the snares choke the drum out at all? Even putting heads on this drum.....the snare beds seem very low, and don't look tampered with at all.

Is this just me?

Bob

Stixofire

Posted on 16 years ago

Bob.. I just haven't played enough drums to do you any good on this one..:(

I can say my RK is the only snare drum I have that I tune with no non-factory dampening.. no moongel, rings, strips..etc.

I love the way it sounds and plays ... just me!

Posted on 16 years ago

There should be a small spacer that looks almost like a washer between the snares and each side of the throw off.

If there were washers there when you took the original snares off, find them!

They almost look like a tiny grommet.

If you don't have them, a small washer can substitute.

That's the way Slingerland sent them out...

Posted on 16 years ago

This forum is just an amazing resource... simply amazing!

Posted on 16 years ago

Ok so here is what mine looks like... with a small washer inserted under the Puresounds...

Rich... you are "O".K.Yes Sir

Posted on 16 years ago

From Rich K.

There should be a small spacer that looks almost like a washer between the snares and each side of the throw off. If there were washers there when you took the original snares off, find them!They almost look like a tiny grommet.If you don't have them, a small washer can substitute.That's the way Slingerland sent them out...

Thanks!!! As I mentioned, I got the drum with three little washers on each side...and, I put two on each side when I put the drum together..and, I must agree....I set it up and it's KILLER!!!!! Like my Craviotto, but even deeper..I'm totally amazed!!!

I have this drum because it's an exact duplicate of the kit I played as a kid!!! Little did we know back then what we had..I guess those drums stood the test of time! I'm just amazed at it's sound! The big question now is..."Do I take this gem on a gig?"

Posted on 16 years ago

Bob.. I just haven't played enough drums to do you any good on this one..:(I can say my RK is the only snare drum I have that I tune with no non-factory dampening.. no moongel, rings, strips..etc.I love the way it sounds and plays ... just me!

Agreed!!!!! This drum is now set up and I'm amazed at it's sound and response!!! Flat out..PHATT!!!!

I use a Remo Powerstroke...with this head, there is no need for any dampening at all....Just the best for Funk!!! Oh man!!!! Right down the middle.....PHAAT!!!!

Drop the snare head down to a..."Doe" Instead of a "Dee"....Look out!!! I mean...Stand BACK!!!

Also, agreed that this forum is the BEST!!!

Stixofire

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here