Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Slingerland Set O-Matic tension screws?

Greetings all,

I was wanting some information on the tension screws on Slingerland Set O-Matic tom mounts.

I recently replaced the tom mounts with original Slingerland and they have tension screws that need to be tightened with a key.

I was wanting to replace these with a butterfly screw or wing screw but I didn't have any with the right thread.

They are a coarse threaded screw but I don't know the size and I for sure do not want to strip the threads!

I have one screw from a Slingerland snare stand of the same era with the same threads, but the wings of the screw are too long.

Do any Slingerland enthusiasts know what the thread size is for these tension screws?

I was hoping to maybe find some bolts at the hardware store with narrower butterfly wings.

I was also thinking about going to my local drum shop and take the tom with me. But I can't be sure they would have the screws I seek.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on 9 years ago

Well.. I responded to your question on FB... but also.. aside from the transporting issue and having somewhere to store your key at gigs... Some people hate the setomatic the angle limitations... but I like it.. It's a nice "streamline" look IMO.. I guess that's another reason why they used the square heads..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

re: "any Slingerland enthusiasts know what the thread size is for these tension screws?"

I believe they are 1/4-20". Many of them I've seen have two flat sides, but the threading is the same.

Posted on 9 years ago

Take the screw, the drum, or just the mount down to the hardware store and match it.

I'm with longjohn; I like the drum key screws just fine.

-Erik
______
Early '70's Slingerland New Rock #50 in blue agate (20-16-13-12)
Late '50's WFL Swingster/Barrett Deems in black/gold Duco
'70's Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB
'76 Ludwig Supraphonic
early '70's Ludwig Acrolite
'80's Ludwig Rocker II 6 1/2" snare
Rogers Supreme Big "R" hi hat
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here