Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Slingerland Rolling Bomber: what about those center reinforcement rings?

Hi there,

Listening to a 26", 12", 13", 14", 16", 14x7" Rolling Bomber kit, I really liked the bass drum, snare and 12" tom, but the 3 remaining toms were lacking lower harmonics to my taste.

Looking into the shells, I noticed that the 12" is the only one without a center wooden reinforcement ring. I know I'll probably get flamed right away by all those who believe that such an instrument should remain as close to its original state as possible BUT I want it to give its fullest sound both on stage and in the studio.

So... my understanding is that the more a shell is flexible (especially in its central section), the more the deeper harmonics can develop. In the case of this kit, the central reinforcement rings were probably installed to help with the tom mounts etc. but I'm pretty sure they don't do any good to the sound.

In short: what would it take to remove them?

Not sure if un-glue-ing is really feasible without harming the shell.

Any thoughts apart from "burn this heretic?" ;-)

Pascal

---------------------------------------------------------
[I just gave up trying to cure my vintage addiction]
Posted on 11 years ago

Please don't do that. Keep them as original as possible.

Posted on 11 years ago

With so many other drums to try, why pull this one`s ribs out ? If I didn`t like a perfectly good drum, I`d sell it or trade it to get another perfectly good drum.

Your idea leaves damage behind for eva !i

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago

The center rering has nothing too do with the mounts, that was how the shells at that time period were constructed including the Radio king shells. Seriously don't alter the shell. Is the shell in question in round ?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

What kind of heads are on them? You might be able to get the sound you like out of a different make and style head? If they are old calf they just might be to be replaced with something fresh. There's a few good sources for new calfskin heads. I'd certainly venture down this route vs any alterations to the shells. Those old Slingerland shells are some of the best sounding drums out there. You can also try vintage NOB hoops and keep the original wood hoops for display. I think between heads and hoops you can find what your looking for.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for your inputs everyone!

I forgot to say that - yes absolutely - I'll first investigate with several heads configurations.

At the moment, it's all calfskins and I like their sound a lot. Especially the attack, that hasn't that plasticky "tick" that bothers me with Remos. The sustain is also thicker than with plastic heads, which is definitely the kind of sound I'm after.

Now, I won't destroy those shells for sure. I think I've seen other Radio King bass drums without center rings or am I mistaking? Could anyone confirm?

I'm still wondering if those center rings make any sense nowadays? I tend to tune my heads low so there isn't a lot of tension on the shells...

The original wood hoops look fantastic and I'd like to play them as is if possible. But I need to admit that I'll probably be shy with rim shots to avoid damaging the snare's.

Now, I love that Radio King logo on the original skins but I'd be very interested to try mounting some new calfskins, too. Googling a bit, what I've found is mainly Earthtone - any other recommended source for modern style skins?

Thanks again for your inputs - very much appreciated!

Pascal

---------------------------------------------------------
[I just gave up trying to cure my vintage addiction]
Posted on 11 years ago

yes Rk shells came with 3 and 2 re rings. the middle re ring is not the problem. if that was true why do the other shells sound pleasing ?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

Try here......... Matt is also a forum member.

http://www.ctpropercussion.com/

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

From vintagemore2000

yes Rk shells came with 3 and 2 re rings. the middle re ring is not the problem. if that was true why do the other shells sound pleasing ?

I believe he is saying the ones without the center re-ring have the sound he is looking for.

I would not pull out the center rings either. That will cause irreparable damage to the drums. There are not a ton of Radio Kings left out there.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago

From tnsquint

I believe he is saying the ones without the center re-ring have the sound he is looking for. I would not pull out the center rings either. That will cause irreparable damage to the drums. There are not a ton of Radio Kings left out there.

No he isn't he thinks the shells he has with the 3 re rings are the problem due too the center ring, but yet he likes the way the other shells he has sounds which are the same 3 ring shells.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here