Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Slingerland Rolling Bomber snare replacement wires

Hi there,

As the honeymoon with my recently acquired Rolling Bomber goes on (pics soon!), I need to replace those snare wires and got stuck.

Puresound doesn't make replacement anymore and the closest snares I could find on eBay (Puresound vintage model) are not long enough.

Someone at Puresound advised to ask Slingerland directly but someone at Slingerland/D'Addario told me that they had to completely discontinue the Slingerland line for financial/crisis reasons.

I'm contemplating bricolaging something but would like to alter the throw-off as less as possible.

Any thoughts? What are the doctors saying?

Thanks!

Pascal

---------------------------------------------------------
[I just gave up trying to cure my vintage addiction]
Posted on 10 years ago

My RK snare has the metal tab things on each end of the snares. I snagged a Puresound replacement set off eBay. Keep looking on there as they always seem to pop up.

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks - could you please let me know what exact Puresound wires you are using?

Pascal

Posted on 10 years ago

If your snare has the wooden Clamshell strainer I think the "PR-1416" is what you'd use. That was the replacement for 14" shell extended snares that use the clamshell strainer. I "think" the 3 point strainer version is the same wires just with the metal mounting tabs. I read somewhere (here possibly) you can remove the metal tabs on those and use them on the CS strainer. Hopefully someone can verify this for you. It's a DRAG Puresound dropped the Vintage line yet again. I know there's another company who makes vintage wires and have both style Slingerland. Forget the name of them sorry but nice high end snares and a bit more money as well.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

Hi there - thanks for your input.

PR1416 is what I just bought but isn't long enough (by about half an inch).

If you could find what that other brand is, I would be very very thankful!

Yes, I have the original wood clamshell and thought that normal clamshell-compatible wires would do the trick, but no luck.

Any more help is welcome!

Pascal

Posted on 10 years ago

Interesting. You'd think they would have almost the same footprint as the metal versions. Did you try to re adjust the nut inside the shell on the end of the handle shaft? That's threaded and should give some extra distance along with letting the tension side in a bit too. Would love to see some pics maybe someone will notice/see something that can help?

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

I've tried to look at it from all possible perspectives.

Basically, if I put the Puresound wires on top of the original ones, there are 10 millimeters missing.

I could stick a piece of wood to the lever-side strainer (sorry, I don't know the exact tech words) and drill new holes in the Puresound wires metal plates to gain a few millimeters, still I'm not sure this will be enough. And I'd like to leave those clamshells as untouched as possible.

Researching a bit more, I think that the Puresound model that would fit is the PRE1416 and not the PR1416 (the extra "E" probably stands for "extended"?).

I'll try to post pictures soon.

Any help is welcome!

Pascal

Posted on 10 years ago

Update:

Playing with the strainer's inside nuts, I was able to attach the PR1416 but as it's still too short, the "zero position" still has the wires resonate and either engaged position kind of put too much pressure on the wires.

So, it's kinda working but not fully satisfactory, tbh.

Pascal

Posted on 10 years ago

Hello,

I'll check my bomber snare when I get home at the end of the month. I think I used Gibraltar 15" snares or peel and they fit perfectly

From pask74

Update: Playing with the strainer's inside nuts, I was able to attach the PR1416 but as it's still too short, the "zero position" still has the wires resonate and either engaged position kind of put too much pressure on the wires.So, it's kinda working but not fully satisfactory, tbh.

1964 Gold Sparkle Round badge 20,12,14
1970 SS Badge, Blue Satin Flame 22,13,16
1962 Tangerine sparkle, Gretsch. 18, 12,14, 5x14
1960's/70's Slingerland 18,12,14 silver sparkle
194? Slingerland "Rolling Bomber" Blue/white Duco 28,13,14,7x14
1940's Radio Kings. 26,13,16 WMP finish
Gretsch Anniversary sparkle 22,13,16, 5.5x14
Posted on 10 years ago

Wow - that would be a rad!

I'll investigate this option, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Pascal