Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Slingerland RK - Opinions Please

Hey guys...I’m wrestling with a few options on this project and would appreciate any and all opinions. I picked up this 14x7 Cloud Badge snare in pretty rough condition. It was originally a clamshell but a 3-point strainer was later installed so there are extra holes as a result. The WMP wrap is aged but is also got a cracking, snakeskin thing happening in a few spots. And the lugs are mostly nickel with a couple of chrome ones.

So here are my questions:

1. Would you leave the finish or consider a nice rewrap, given the condition and extra holes?

2. I've got the clamshell butt, but since strainers are tough (and expensive) to find, would you go with a 3-point, which I understand is much more functional. Again, it’s already drilled for both.

I’m obviously seeing this as a player at this point and plan to give it a lot of use once I get it back in shape.

Thanks very much for your thoughts!

Gary

5 attachments
39.5 kB
34.5 kB
33.4 kB
31.8 kB
60's Gretsch Round Badge 22/13/16
'71 Ludwig B/O Badge 20/12/13/14/16
'72 Ludwig B/O Badge Jazzette 18/12/14
'65 Rogers Holiday 20/12/16
Posted on 11 years ago

Gary, the wrap is toast, I would remove the wrap and maybe just stain it with a nice stain, I would use the three point the clamshells are a joke. it is as stated a player so the value is as a great usable road player. but if you have a kit you want to match it with then re wrap it.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

I vote re-wrap in vintage WMP (to freshen the wrap and hide the extra holes) and use the 3-point strainer. Much more reliable than a clamshell. You can replace the nickel mini's with these: (scroll to bottom of page)

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/drumsandsome/-strse-Drum-Lugs/Categories.bok

:2Cents:

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

As much as I favor saving orginal wraps I have to say that one is pretty bad, and a new wrap will cover the holes. But then I understand its a pretty rare drum being 7" so keeping it original should be considered. If it were just a wrap issue I might keep it the way it is but with the extra holes and missing clam shell strainer I think the others are right, re-wrap and use the strainer you have.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

VM2K, John & Jeff C,

Thanks so much for the great feedback, guys. It is a rare drum and out of respect, I've been thinking carefully about this for a few months. But while rare, it's pretty nasty looking and as a result, not all that collectible - especially with those extra holes. I hold the opinions of you three in high regard and with your input, feel better about removing that old wrap. As for the final finish, I think I'll see what condition the shell is underneath and go from there and keep you posted.

Thanks again for the advise. A real example of what makes this forum the best!

Gary

Posted on 11 years ago

Rewrap it and run the 3 point. I have a 59 era GK Slingerland snare with the original clamshell and after a year of trying every tuning, different heads and every trick in the book I decided to display it instead of play it. I keep it only because it is original to the kit and I don't want to break up the set. Many times it nearly took a flight accross the room out of frustration though......clamshells just suck, but they are pretty. I finally got it to at least be playable by cranking the batter, snare side and wires, it sounds very choked. At any other tuning it had the wierd overtone I just couldn't shake, sounded like a donkey going "herrraw" for lack of a better descriptor. You're lucky somebody already took the plunge and converted yours! I bet that thing will sound KILLER!

Posted on 11 years ago

From fatty

Rewrap it and run the 3 point. I have a 59 era GK Slingerland snare with the original clamshell and after a year of trying every tuning, different heads and every trick in the book I decided to display it instead of play it. I keep it only because it is original to the kit and I don't want to break up the set. Many times it nearly took a flight accross the room out of frustration though......clamshells just suck, but they are pretty. I finally got it to at least be playable by cranking the batter, snare side and wires, it sounds very choked. At any other tuning it had the wierd overtone I just couldn't shake, sounded like a donkey going "herrraw" for lack of a better descriptor. You're lucky somebody already took the plunge and converted yours! I bet that thing will sound KILLER!

I'm feeling better by the minute! Thanks!

Posted on 11 years ago

Do it! They're drums, made to be played. Mine are player's, and yes they go out most weekends!

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

GWM, man killer snare!! Very cool project.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

I believe I would re-wrap as well, if the hardware could be polished up to the level of looking good with a brand new wrap.

I'd run the 3-point as well.... one of the previous owners replaced the clamshell strainer for a reason, they are extremely finicky, and just plain good luck to have one that functions well without some or a lot of non-factory adjustments.

I do believe I would not polish the badge, though.

I have a couple of deep-dish RKs, nothing compares, really, plus Space Monkey approves.....that's verrry important, lol !!

1 attachments
Kevin
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here