Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Slingerland rims: which ones for a 1955 set?

Hello everybody at this forum!

First post here, great place!

I am looking for all rims for the Slingerland set pictured.

So far it's been hard to tell which are the right, correct period ones.

According to the previous owner the set is from 1955.

Some features:

-hardware is NOB and the lugs on bassdrum, floor and ride toms all are the large bassdrum size (part #566?). The picture at bottom left of page 199 in Rob Cook's "Slingerland Book" shows a "Gene Krupa Deluxe Radio King Ensemble 1-N" with the same lugs on all drums. In the picture the snare drum is different and the rims look like Sticksavers, don't they?

-the badge is on bassdrum and snare, and it's the 1955-1959 small oval type as described at page 148 on Rob Cook's book.

-snare drum is 6 lugs and sports an original "three-point" strainer (part #967A)

-the diameter of the ride and floor tom drums is slightly larger than standard

-bassdrum legs are not original, they are Ludwig from a later period

-all the rest is original to the set (except rims of course)

Now, which rims should I look for? Sticksavers? Single flanged? Collar hooks?

Thank you, Gabe.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Stick Savers. You could put single flange w/ clips and I don't think that would be wrong either (in fact, if none of the hoops seem to be original I bet it came with single flange) for the time period but save yourself the trouble and assume that they had Stick Savers. :)

Have you tested the hoops that you have with a magnet?

Great looking kit by the way! I love that color!

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

From GoneDrumming

Stick Savers. You could put single flange w/ clips and I don't think that would be wrong either (in fact, if none of the hoops seem to be original I bet it came with single flange) for the time period but save yourself the trouble and assume that they had Stick Savers.[...]

Save myself the trouble...

Boy, it's been a nightmare so far (4 years of research, and I live in Italy) and you are absolutely right: the single flanged/collar hooks combination seems to have disappeared from this planet.

I guess I will assume...

Thank you GoneDrumming!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here