Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Slingerland restore Question!!

Does anyone know if Slingerland early 70's drums will seat modern heads if you add wrap to a drum that originally had a natural stain? Serial # 214079. Any help would be appreciated!

Posted on 16 years ago

Don't know the definitive answer, but I do know this. I recently purchased a '78 Slingerland 3 ply with re-rings kit, the factory wrap is Blakrome, which is basically a dark clearcoat over stainless steel. The wrap is pretty thick. I bought all new Remo heads, two wouldn't fit and the others were super tight. True, one drum was a little out of round, but not much, maybe 2-3mm total. Remo heads are notorious for being tight, whereas Aquarian heads fit perfectly and tuned rightup. Aquarian Vintage heads are even better for old drums, as they are slightly oversized.

Slingerland Zildjian Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the info!

I have a 60's RB Gretsch that has to take the American Vintage heads. I love the way those heads sound on that kit (for jazz-Blues-R/B-soul), but this Slingerland project is going to be my rock kit and I would really like to use 2 ply heads which unfortunately Aquarian doesn't make in the AM Vint. line. I'm planning to use a pretty thin wrap though, so I hope the heads do fit!

Posted on 16 years ago

My previous, ahem, backup kit is an old '60s Pearl kit, of which the shells are little sphericaly challenged to say the least. I used 2-ply Aquarian Performance 2 heads on them, and if you tune them just right, they have a really deep, punchy, kinda '70s retro sound. Plus, they are tough as hell and last forever! I tried Remo Pinstripes on them, but I just couldn't get the sound I wanted. Aquarian makes a great product. I had a problem with a 16" floor tom head recently and fired off an e-mail to them, and had a phone call from Mr. Roy Burns himself within minutes, and he sent me a brand new head, no hassle at all! The president of the company, and a drumming legend.

Slingerland Zildjian Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here