Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Slingerland Rail Mounts

I picked up an old Chicago era Slingy bass drum not too long ago. The shell was unfortunately very poorly drilled for modern spurs, had terrible edges, seperating plies, and a loose re-ring, so I decided to rob the parts and get a new shell. The drum had the 4 bolt rail mount. I found a nice 60s niles era shell from a board member with the 4 hole pattern for the rail mount. When I went to put the hardware on the new shell I noticed that the hole spacing was slightly further apart, about 1/4" more than the Chicago BD.

Does anyone know if Slingerland changed the rail mount durring these eras? Is there a difference between a 50s rail and a 60s rail, or is it possible that the 60s drum was drilled for an aftermarket rail? I can rig it up to where I can mount it on the drum and not have to drill new holes, but I'm wanting it to be as close to original as possible. Any information would be appreciated.

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm pretty sure a Chicago era rail mount would be the two hole variety...

Many of the Chicago era bass drums had clip on tom mounts that really didn't work that well, so many drummers added a rail mount later on...

I think Slingerland didn't start using the four hole mount until the late '60s (Niles)...

Posted on 14 years ago

Interesting, I see what you mean in the catalogs on VDG, it looks like the mount is clipped on the BD rim. Then I guess it was the Chicago drum that added the rail. The 13" rack tom that I got in the same deal as the kick had an old pearl tom mount on it to work with the round post rail mount, so it definitely makes sense that it could have been added. The rail mount may very well be a pearl as well which could be the reason it doesn't fit on the Niles shell. :confused:

Posted on 14 years ago

Check out the thread in this same section about Slingerland gold veil find. There are two railmounts on that kit, maybe he would want to part with one. He could surely give you a measurement to be sure you have the correct drill hole spacing.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here