Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Slingerland RadioKing Snare Drum

Hello vintage drum world(this is my first time on ANY kind of forum). I recently tried a brand new 2006 radioking (14x6.5), looooved the fat warm sound, the obvious retro look, so here are some questions hopefully someone can answer. When it comes to Slingerland, is the radioking THE snare of choice, is vintage superior to new in terms of sound, and finally, will the 6.5 be louder than a 5.5. I'm definitely not looking for louder, just warmer. Thanks

Posted on 17 years ago

The new Radio Kings, although styled after the vintage ones, are completely different drums. What does superior sound mean??? Your best bet is to play different ones to find the sound you're looking for...trying to rely on other people's descriptions can be futile...

Posted on 17 years ago

I don't think an inch is going to make a much of a difference in volume. I can pretty much make anything make your teeth hurt. I think shell and hoop material are the biggest determinants of volume. A brass shell with die cast hoops should usually be the loudest although in the past this has not always been the case (I've found a couple of brass shells that were not the loudest). BUT...The loudest drum I have ever played was a Pearl 3.5x14 free floating brass shell with die cast hoops. That one can really get away from you. It can be almost abusive. But that combination gives you exceptional cut on your ghost notes so in careful hands the drum can be very useful.

Most people say shell material determines warmth with wood being warmer than metal and soft woods being warmer than hard woods (mahogany vs maple for example). So maybe warmth is a function of sound reflection versus absorbtion. I think a component of warmth is the ratio of drum tone to the sound of the snares in the mix. A deeper drum should give you a higher ratio with respect to that parameter.

My 2 cents worth.

Gary,

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here