Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Slingerland Radio King "pop Quiz"!

I'm currently working on a Slingerland Black Diamond Pearl Radio King kit. I'm trying to correctly identify the era the bass drum and rack tom were manufactured by the respective hardware on each. Hopefully, some of you Slingerland "experts" out there can help me out!

Here's what I've got:

When I purchased the bass drum I was told that it was manufactured in the 1930s. Please take a look at the first two pics that I posted, showing two configurations of t-rods with respective claws. Would either one of these be found as original factory equipment on a RK bass drum from this period? If so, which one? Any idea when "the other t-rod" might have been used by the Slingerland Drum Company?

The rack tom that I've got features 6 small beavertail lugs, single-flanged hoop with "belly" collar hooks, and a tacked down bottom head. The third pic that I've posted shows the interior of the shell, with a Harold R. Dodd muffler. Would this drum have been manufactured in the 30s or would it have been in the 40s?

As usual, any and all comments are welcome!

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I'm going to take a shot.. Mind you, I'm no expert.

The S trod goes with the claw shown. The other one (there are actually a couple of versions of this trod) goes with a later claw, late 30's through early 50's. Tom is 30's...before cup washers.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here