Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Slingerland Radio King Era?

I bought this kit in New Jersey in the early eighties. I've been traveling alot with it since then and it's getting pretty beat up. I'd rather sell it or loan it to someone to display. The badge is from the forties but the color looks more 50's vintage. It's complete with mufflers, canvas covers, pedals, hihat, cymbals and hardware. If anyone has any idea as to the kit's approximate age or value, I'd appreciate some info. [IMG]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/barkyo@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/9ec1&.dnm=d241scd.jpg&.src=ph[/IMG]

Posted on 18 years ago

You have a lot going on with the kit and seeing it all together is a big plus.

In regards to the finish the Duco (pronounced Do Koh and not Duckoh) was popular in the 40's and the 50's the badge is the key indicator for this set because it is the aluminum cloud badge. And that was used during the War in the mid 40's. I do not want to give an exact date because it can be debated amongst vintage historians and I'm here to help and not get in the middle of a non-exact science.

The snare drum looks very much like a Slingerland Hollywood Ace Swing Model with the Rapid Strainer and extension bridges. Here again I'm no expert and it can also be debated since Slingerland changed names of drums etc..

The hardest thing with war time drums is finding information since many drum companies were not printing catalogs or were doing limited flyers since they had many restrictions on them during the war. So your set is probably from the earlier or later times, because they made many drums from all wood with limited metal parts to conform to government regulations.

There are a few "Experts" that can really nail this down to an exact description, but I have not seen them on the forum recently.

In regards to loaning it, I would think that the condition of the shells is not up to that standard of a museum and there are not many places that even display vintage drums.

Selling the drums is a definite possibility and the Duco finish has a following, but less desirable then a wrapped rare finish etc.. I think the set as a complete unit can bring upwards of over $1000 and that is because the snare is matched to the set and that is what many people like when they want the complete package.

As always I must add a disclaimer that I'm not an "official" expert and my information may at best be close to actuality and others might be able to shed more light.

Pricing is also based on having a buyer and even if it is a good price you need someone willing to pay it.

The cymbals might also be a big factor and depending on what they are, they could possibly be worth more then the drums.

I hope that helps

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here