Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.24843%

Slingerland Radio King 8x12 (40s/50s) > Ludwig 60s Keystone Gold Sparkle 8x12

Slingerland Radio King Tom, rewrapped at some point in it’s life In Antique White Pearl.

All original rims, lugs and internal muffler intact, shell is in round and fits modern heads no problem. Tunes up easily and the sound is warm and round with delicious bottom end and lower mid-range. No extra holes!

The 12 is a rarer bird than a 13 from this era. Three-ply mahogany and poplar shell with maple reinforcing rings. Check out those engraved hoops with the Radio King logo, so iconic, so classy. I have the internal muffler, all original.

Would like to trade for an 8x12 Ludwig 60's Keystone badge in Gold Sparkle, preferably 1968 or 69 serial number.

Muchas gracias - El Stinko
Posted on 5 years ago

Shouldn't a Radio King with beavertail lugs have the large 2-1/4" wide re-rings. Those look like the later 1" rings.

Posted on 5 years ago

Mmmm... I honestly don't know Slingerfan, but that is an astute observation. What era is this shell, in your estimation?

Posted on 5 years ago
Posted on 5 years ago

I had no idea about this, this is the way this drum came to me, described as a '40's/50's Radio King'. But I think Slingerfan is right, I think the hardware on this drum is 40's and the shell is 50's.

Posted on 5 years ago

The Slingerland book by Rob Cook states the lugs changed in 1955, so you could have a fifties shell with fifties beavertail lugs.

Nice tom, whichever way...!!

Yes Sir

Kevin
Posted on 5 years ago

'56-'63 shell. Pre '55 lugs.

Posted on 5 years ago

Thank you so much guys, appreciate the feedback and details. This is a beautiful sounding drum.

Posted on 5 years ago

Also, Slingerland shells were manufactured through 1956 with the wrap glued to the outer ply before the shell was constructed, so the wrap became integrated with the middle ply at the seam. Starting in 1957, the wrap was installed to the completed shells. There would most likely be evidence of the original wrap in the seam on the bearing edge on a pre-1957 shell.

Posted on 5 years ago

No longer for trade, I found my 1969 Ludwig 8 x 12 in Gold Sparkle. There is a new post in the For Sale section.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here