Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Slingerland Radio King 40's

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and need some input on a 1940 or 41(?) Hollywood Ace Swing Model Radio King. The drum is 14 x 7. I bought it for about 80 bucks Canadian in about 1994. I put on a different top hoop in order to play it in a loud setting but I do have the original hoop for it with the Radio King stamp.

Whoever owned it at one time recovered in birds eye maple. This drum has no badge:( but if I can find one of the right vintage on ebay I'd like to put it on. What are my chances? It also needs a muffler, and some other parts for a proper restoration like eight tension rods and an original snare bridge for the strainer side. The drum sounds good and is completely playable right now but I'd like to restore it in the proper or close Pearl wrap of that era with the correct parts. It this worth the effort?

Any help regarding part collecting, wraps, badges for sale etc to get this drum restored nicely would greatly appreciated.

Any Info welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Posted on 17 years ago

The modern wraps don't look exactly like the old ones, and sometimes when you re-warp it's hard to get heads on the drum...especially if the drum was a wood or duco finish to begin with. I'd leave it as is...it looks pretty cool...maybe I'd put the correct hoop back on the top.

Posted on 17 years ago

Nice drum!

Personally I would get the drum done in a duco finish.

If your interested the webmaster told me awhile back that car painters

usually do a good job.

Cheers

Harrison

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks Rich and Harrison for your input.

Rich, I was looking at my wrap on the Taye drums I use. It looks like it's probably as thin or thinner than the birds eye veneer so I'm thinking that fitting the heads on won't be a problem. Also the veneer is cracked between almost every beavertail. Maybe I'll take the whole thing apart again and do a close inspection of the shell to make sure there aren't any cracks in it.

Harrison, the duco finish would be really cool but I'm wondering about the cost and paint matching to the original colors?

Also, I still need to find out what year my drum is. There is no badge but the grommet is still there and it is made of brass so does that help for dating purposes? Judging from the badges shown on the Vintage Drum Guide website, the ones with brass grommets were made from the 30's to 1947. Than it looks as though they switched to an aluminum grommet? Please help.

I have my eye on an early muffler (red) as well from the 30's which may or may not be correct. Hence my need for dating the drum.

Thanks in advance all!

John

1 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

It all depends on your plans for the future of that drum.If you keep it,which you should,then dress it up to your taste.Selling it?...dont put anything into it,unless you,re bored and have nothing to do.You wont get the money back you put into it.............Point; I owned a paint store for 10 years and i heard many times people say they would not buy a home if they didn,t like the color when they walked through.......CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!!

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here