Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Slingerland Radio? Artist?

I have attached pictures of this COB Slingerland Snare Drum and have a few questions. Based on the Serial Number 4323, when was it produced? I think the 60's based on your chart. Is this correct?

Is this drum a Radio King or is it a Artist Model? ...or classified as both? I assume it is not a Gene Krupa model, no bands on the shell....correct?

A couple of interesting comments. I have the original batter head. The bottom snares are original. The badge appears to be on slightly crooked and yet it is on as securely as it can be. Was this a common problem? This drum, although the pics magnify the imperfections is in great shape. However there is a small ding per the picture. Like dent removals in autos, is there any way to take this out?

Of course, here's the question. What's this drum worth? There are only a few minor scratchs and this drum shines. The Zoomatic Strainer is as smooth as I remember them as a kid. what is really nifty is that the stand is a Slingerland only a few years after the dating on this drum.

Thanks!

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi,yes your drum is the Gene Krupa model........For the first couple of years there were no lines in the shell...(from about 1963-1965)...I have one also which is pre serial......These are great sounding drums and In my opinion the best kept vintage secret......You get an all brass drum for not alot of money..Unlike the Ludwig 400 which is a nice sounding drum,but what happens when you mix chrome and alum.Pitting.......Not the case with any slingerland............

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the info. How much are "our best little vintage secrets worth"?

I agree with you with regard to the supraphonics. Big difference between the alloy and COB in look and I believe in sound. I know that the COB's are hot and have been going from $750-$1000 on EBay.

Posted on 17 years ago

Nice drum! I've a 60's Krupa too and the thing barks, period! The dents can be banged out easily, just be careful not to scratch the inside when you do it. I've not seen this one with no lines. I just saw a lined one go for over $300 on ebay; safe bet yours would certainly go for more, it's rather rare.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here