Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Slingerland "super rock" (???)

Hi!

I have a Slingerland drum kit (#330XXX), with 24/12/13/18 shells. Looking at old catalogs, I think it is a Super rock outfit from 1977 or 1978. But I'm not sure, since it looks like the precedent owner has made some changes. For example, there is only one pair of spurs (there are two pairs of holes in the BD shell), there is also a hole for a cymbal arm in the BD (did Slingerland made this kind of customization?), the tom mount has been changed for generic post style arms that don't look like "slingerland" parts at all, and it has been rewrap. I would like to restore this kit and think it would made for a good player's kit. But I have a few questions for you: 1) what is this kit ? 2) since I want to restore it, should I look for Slingerland parts of the era (like the double tom mount or a second pair of spurs) or should I go with whatever part I love? (the rail consolette might be pretty since I play with only one tom... or I may go with a simple snare stand for my tom and fill the hole for the tom mount in the bass drum) ... and finally: to rewrap/unwrap or no? What you folks think?

Posted on 6 years ago

Here are a few pictures. Sorry for the bad quality of images... as you can see, the wrap has been covered with cheap vinyl on a few occasions.

Posted on 6 years ago

Possibly RJB 70N kit with pieces missing. Bass drum looks like it never had a factory tom mount. Also, cymbal mount and hoops are not original.

Posted on 6 years ago

Yeah! I think you're right! So I imagine that, since there is not many original parts into this, I can try to "build" my own custom drum from these great shells...

Posted on 6 years ago

Yes, damage is already done, but could be a nice players kit. BD is good 3-ply shell in a desirable size. Any chance there is an original wrap/finish under that contact paper?

Posted on 6 years ago

Maybe... but it would be surprising, since the grommets look like they were removed and put back. The exterior of the shells looks like mahogany, but difficult to say without unwraping the three layers of cheap wrap... An exciting project, for sure!

Posted on 6 years ago

The 24" usually had the two sets of spurs.. But Super Rock kit did not have a 12".... It was 13,14,18,24.. as you say will be a worthwhile project..

And yes that outer veneer is mahogany..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks! I'll keep you update with the restoring / rebirth of my Slingerland! Cheers!

Posted on 6 years ago

I have a last question to the Slingerland experts out there. What is the difference between these shells (RJB 70N, 1977 or so) and upper quality series? Are they similar? Except for the choice of toms and the snare, what was the difference between them: hardware, head, edges, etc??? Thanks again!

Posted on 6 years ago

Basically no difference at all.... Same shells & basic hardware on all.. Combination of drum sizes and finishes.. were main variant.. throw options and shell materials on snares..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.