Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Slingerland "Jobbing Outfit" ?

Hi, this is my first post here on the forum :) . A couple weeks ago I bought a Slingerland kit with a 12x20" bass drum and a 8x12" tom. As far as I can find out from Rob Cook's Slingerland book, this is a "Jobbing Outfit". I do have a couple of questions about this kit that maybe someone can answer:

1. The tom hoops looks like they are made of aluminum, is this original?

2. The bass drum legs does not look like they are original. They are only fastened with two screws each, does not reach down to the floor, and are useless.

3 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

That is probably a 1955 kit...it has nickle hardware and the later Leedy & Ludwig rail consolette. The bass drum legs that are installed are late Japanese. Your BD had the hoop mounted spurs originally.

Posted on 17 years ago

The good news is that the tension rods on your bass are original. Slingerland sent out the 12 x 20s that way. And they're great sounding bass drums.

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for your info! I will try to fill up the holes from the unoriginal legs and get a couple of hoop-mounted legs instead.

Does anybody know anything about the aluminum hoops on the tom?

Posted on 17 years ago

I doubt they are aluminum...They look like nickle over brass to me.

Posted on 17 years ago

You are probably right, but the strange thing is the weight of the hoop. I compared it with a 13" COB hoop, and the 13" is over three times as heavy as the 12".

The 12" weights 0,19kg (0.4 lbs) and the 13" weights 0,67kg (1,5 lbs)

Posted on 17 years ago

Slingerland experimented with aluminum hoops around that time. I've seen a 13" Slingerland snare drum with them. I'm sure the DR could chime in with specifics.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here