Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Slingerland "jamm Session" Kit

This evening I spent a significant amount of time with an acquaintance who's got a vintage Slingerland "Jamm Session Kit" (20/12/5.5x14) with added 16x16floor tom in its original Green Satin Flame wrap (although the "green" still looks like "aqua" to me!).

Although the wrap has the usual scuffs & scratches common to the satin flame finishes and the bass drum hoops are missing the in-lays, the kit itself is extremely sound. The shells have no extra holes; no modifications of any sort have been made; and all the original hardware (spurs, mounts, rims, mufflers, bass drum pedal, etc.) is accounted for. The shells and bearing edges appear to be in excellent condition also.

The current owner's trying to determine whether there would be any interest from vintage drum collectors and/or players in this particular kit, despite the cosmetic issues mentioned regarding the satin flame wrap? Since it's actually the first "Jamm Session" kit I've seen personally I'm not exactly sure what the correct answer would be.

Any of you Slingerland "experts" out there have any additional information regarding this particular Slingerland kit and/or what it might be worth on the market? The badges on all the drums are the Slingerland Black & Brass Niles with serial numbers. All rims are COB.

THANKS in advance for your input!Bowing

Posted on 15 years ago

I can't imagine this would be much of a collectors coup. It's a kit with no floor tom (factory issued), single lug, in a wrap that is poo-poo'd by most. I would search out a 14 inch floor or better yet a 14 or 15 inch tenor tom, single lug, and put some appropriate legs on it. That would be a cool jazz kit and would actually be more in line with what Slingerland would have put out from the factory. The Windsor had that single lug 15 tenor as a floor and it worked fine. This kit has the smaller drums, so a 14 tenor might do the trick. Something to think about. As it is, it's not going to raise any eyebrows. Value would be reduced for all the reasons it's unique.

If you do find that tenor, the 16 would sell as a standalone just fine. The market is there for individual toms these days. You wouldn't get much for it, but it would cover the cost of the replacement and still have a buck or two left over.

You might want to check the plies on that snare. If it's single ply, you got something there. I doubt that it would be, but you never know with Slingerland.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here