Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

slingerland "artist model" reinforcement rings re-glue

hi there,

i have a slingerland "artist model" snaredrum which has loosened reinforcement rings.

what is the best way for me to fix this?

put wood-glue in the cracks and use a clamp, or first complete remove the rings and then re-glue them?

also:

the drum sounds quite nice but has a nasty ring when close-miked.

i can tune it however i want it is always there and is only manageable with some dampening.

where soes it come from and is there hope to get it softened?

thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

Rich, here's what I've done with my 2 Radio Kings. I use a small needle to fill in the cracks with wood glue. Using an old cut off piece of another drum, I use those pieces on the outside and inside of the drum and clamp in the middle of the crack with a squeeze type clamp. I then use C clamps going away from the first clamp spaced tightly. I also use those same pieces of old drums to prevent any damage to the shell from the clamps. After setting up for 24 hours, I remove the clamps and seal any cracks with Miniwax 2 part wood filler, let dry overnight, then sand to finish...

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

I do it the same way as backbeat....the only difference is I use laminated wood flooring, I cut it to the size I need it and bend it around the shell inside and out and then clamp.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

I should of been more specific, the pieces of drum that I use are from a re ring on an old drum and approximately a quarter of the shell, it helps keep the drum as round as possible.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

ok,

this sounds resonable.

here are some pictures. maybe i can get some additional infos:

Posted on 14 years ago

and here is the inside seam:

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

OUCH! With all of that wood filler in there, I don't know, you might be looking at removing the ring altogether and having to reinsert it after clean up. That is a lot of filler, and to get it all out is gonna be a bear, unless you have some dental picks,and a whole lotta patience. I usually will pry it up and use these bamboo skewers between the shell and ring, then insert some 2 part epoxy before clamping. But that filler has got to go, or you will not get good results.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Stick with the Miniwax 2 part filler, it's an epoxy, hardens, shapes and sands beautifully. Stay away from Elmer's. If the pictures are of the unfinished version (not glued) try the way I suggested. If you have already put the glue in and are filling, use the Miniwax. It's the best I've found at patching, without stealing away a lot of the natural resonance.

Posted on 14 years ago

Backbeat is right...you have to glue and clamp then wood fill. Use a syringe (large gauge) and put the glue in it. Don't feel like you have to get the whole thing done in one sitting, small sections is ok, just make sure you use plenty of clamps (I prefer C clamps) close together. Use a very small and very flexible putty blade for the filler. I got lucky and found a stainless one that I think is for modeling so you may be able to pick one up at a hobby store.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here