Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Slingerland questions

I just purchased this Slingerland kit (via ebay for $530.00 and I have a couple of questions:

1) The size for the kick is listed at 16X22. Weren't bass drums from this era usually 14X22? Did they make 16X22 back then?

2) The bass drum cymbal mount. I've never seen that type of mount on a Slingerland..... is that original or was it added later? Also, there appear to be no holes for a tom mount.... is that normal?

3) How do you tell if the lugs are nickel? How do you clean them?

4) How do you tell which type of wood the drum is made of? It seems to me that a kit from this era should be 3-ply Mahogany, but in the pictures it looks lighter.

5) I thought $530 was a pretty good price for this kit.... is it?

I would appreciate any help anybody could offer in answering these questions. Thanks!

adamcoldhouse

5 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey there, adamcoldhouse

Could be they'd measured across the hoops, and it's really a 14x22. Or it could be an odd old 16x22. You're right that 14x22 was the standard size, but many a drum has turned up in oddball sizes, even back in the fifties.

Nickel plating weighs more than modern chrome plating, and nickel, like silver, has more whitish highlights, whereas chrome has darker highlighting. Clean any of it with care.

Slingerland used maple, poplar, and mahogany plies - usually with the mahogany ply as the interior ply. But not always. There were variations, no doubt.

The price for the kit pictured is definitely worth it. Grab it up while you're able to get it, and worry over the details afterward, man ! Otherwise it'll be gone.

At the top of this website page, click on the white print where it says Vintage Drum Identification. Then scroll down to the bottom, and click on Slingerland Drums. You'll get a helpful and enjoyable education there.

And be patient. Other members will eventually respond to this thread, too, and they'll have better information than mine.

Grab that set, adam. Oh, and welcome to the neighborhood, good brother !

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for your input; I appreciate it!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here