Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Slingerland PreBadge Restoration

I found a 60s Slingerland 20-13-14 Pre-Badge kit for a song that I think can be revived to a useful and attractive players kit. I've already acquired a Pre-Badge 12 orphan so I can make this a 20-12-14. This is my first restoration project.

The 12 and 13 both have nice edges, good shells and hardware...but the 14 and 20 have some serious separation of the reinforcement rings that will surely interfere with the tone of these drums if not mended.

I don't know what to do with these separations. Do I fill them? Do I have the bearing edges recut? If so, should the separations be glued and clamped and / or separations filled first? Or should I leave the mess as is for the recutting?

I have some hardware hunting to do, lots of cleaning, and some rewrapping (the are 4 different colors among these 4 different drums - previous owner "attempted" a stain job...) but my biggest concern here is these two shells and this ring / edge issue.

I'm not too far from NY and have thought of Nodar Rode as an option for an operation, but would appreciate some words from the experienced before I dial up any place of business...

I'm new to the forum (its great!) and have done a bit of reading here, but did not find quite what I was looking for in previous posts. If this has been covered in detail, please feel free to redirect me.

Thanks in advance -

P

Posted on 16 years ago

As far as the seperation goes, try using any professional wood glue, not Gorillia Glue, it expands!! Anyway, I had an old shell that was junk and cut two pieces, approximately quarter of the diameter and used those on the outsides (inner and outer drum) as a buffer for the C clamp. Protected the drum I was working on very nicely. I recommend using a little glue with a needle, or a small hypodermic, seperate the shell slightly to get the glue in and then clamp, making sure to wipe off the excess glue. You can use a high quality wood filler for the parts that you can't get any glue in.

Good Luck

For what it's worth

Backbeatkeeper

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Cut bearing edges are a big heated debate, and if they sound like 60's Slingerland then they sound great!

Cutting an edge has happened to some really rare and expensive drums by the mentioned restorer and it usually opens up a can of worms.

If you have a sweet vintage Camaro that does not sound great, I would fix the exhaust before replacing the engine!

So, fix the problems, tune them up and start playing!

flowers2

David

Posted on 16 years ago

I agree. And while I don't think I would be doing any harm to any collectors pieces here - I would prefer to not have anything recut. I'd love to retain as much of the 60's Slingerland Sound as I can in this set. Thankfully this ring / edge separation is the only issue (besides needing a wrap). No extra holes, modern hardware intrusions, etc.

I'm going to see what I can do. I am sure I'll be back with more questions when I do get down to business.

Thanks all -

P

Posted on 16 years ago

Just a note --- I don't want to hurt anyone's business

but I have heard many business deals gone wrong with

Nodar. If you are going to have work done by a professional

I would suggest Precision Drums. Though it doesn't seem

like you do need any work done.

Harrison
Posted on 16 years ago

Use real wood workers glue, not the crap stuff, and a clamp. Sounds like they'll be fine. It ain't rocket science. Look at the way some of the old ones were constructed. Pretty funky worksmanship. DW, or any of the majors makes a much nicer built drum then they built then, but they don't sound any better! Aloha, Bill D.

Posted on 16 years ago

If you are interested in re-wrapping this set, you might want to conatct

Precision Drum in N Y> They built a 14" x 8" Blue sparkle snare for me to

match my 1966 Ludwig set. Their workmanship is excellant!! I highly

reccommend them to do this work. They will send you wrap samples

to help you choose a color. If you feel uncomfortable about repairing

the re-rings, they could do that for you too.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here