Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Slingerland Natural Finish Restore

Hi,

I just picked up a pair of Niles era Slingerland rack toms. Finish is natural maple, and they are 3 ply maple with reinforcing rings top and bottom. Serial numbers are consecutive and put them in the 1974/75 range. Overall condition is dirty but good, and they have all original hoops and tension rods. Internal dampers are missing (shame).

I've done some restoration work but by no means an expert and this is the first natural finish that I've worked with. My plan is to clean all the hardware with the normal cleaners and I love the natural finish, so I want to keep it that way (no re-wrap). My question is the best way to clean and restore the finish. The only chips seem to be in the satin like finish, not actually in the wood, so I'm thinking I can find a way to lightly strip the satin, and then do a new wood oil finish. I think this would keep the beautiful maple hue, and hopefully pull the grain out a bit more. I don't think just cleaning the old finish would do it for me as there are too many small chips and discolorations.

The next part would be finding a matching floor tom, kick drum and snare... but first things first, any advice to get these looking A-1 would be appreciated. Also I will be needing some bits and pieces of hardware... if anyone has what I need, let me know and we can talk price.

Thx,

Peter

3 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Just a word of advice stained and painted slingerland shells are slightly larger diameter shells than the wrapped shells are so putting a wrap on them would be a major pain head fit wise. your shells have a large M stamped inside the shell. the M stands for painted or stained, the Large P inside a shell means Pearl wrap, or wrapped shell

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

I redid a similar set. On the advice of our bassist, a high end luthier, I lightly scuffed them and smoothed them. Used Min Wax-Wipe on. they came out great. Still had that vintage vibe, but looked good..... [IMG]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad173/wdonley/232323232fp4327gtnu3242gt576gt-96gtWSNRCG323366lt2-26nu0mrj.jpeg[/IMG]

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here