Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Slingerland model?

I'm trying to identify another snare drum. Can't find an exact match. Looks most similar to a 60's Radio King but the badging indicates otherwise. The info:

1. Drum Shell Material -- Wood, 3 ply I think, Mahogany - Poplar - Mahogany

2. Drum Finish -- Marine Pearl with yellowing (not sure if it's typical because I don't know the exact age)

3. Drum Badge -- Black and Brass Chicago Oval Badge. 1956-1959?

3. Drum Dimensions -- 5" x 14"

4. Interior Finish -- Natural

5. Hardware Configuration -- 6 Sound King lugs, Flat, clip style hoops (no flange)

6. Strainer Type -- 3-point Strainer, first gen type

7. Age -- This is the only surviving piece of my first drumset I got 26 years ago. My dad said he bought it used from a punk rocker and the whole set was in pieces strewn around the guys house. The set I guess was in shambles because my dad (a bodyman at the time) painted it with Car enamel (it was awesome) but he said the snare was still in good shape so he left it as is.

8. Condition -- The rims are the worst off, a number of years ago I tried to remove some rust with polish, then steel wool and finally a Dremel. The rust is gone, but the cosmetics suffered. What can I say, I didn't know any better . The lugs and clips are all in good shape, the square heads need some love. The strainer appears to be missing some kind of extension piece on the flip handle. Originally I thought the shell was cream colored until I found out Slingerland didn't make that color. The shell is in great shape, no peelling or cracking, there is a chip in the center ply where the tone knob hole was drilled. The shell is marked and crimped where the hardware attaches, but I would expect that. I couldn't find a single mark on the inside that indicated anything. And the badge was the type without a serial number.

Anyone know what this thing is, and if I should offer it up to a collector instead of storing it?

Posted on 16 years ago

Sounds like an early 60's Slingerland "Special Student Drum"

Pg. 187, "The Slingerland Book" Rob Cook, Copyright 2004 Rebeats, 219 Prospect, Alma Michigan 48801.

Picture on the bottom right of the page 187.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

I was just perusing Dr. C.J. Wenk's articles on this site and I think you're right, although the badge tells me it is definitely in the '56-'59 time frame (with a loop in the bottom of the Slingerland "S"). Also the strainer is identical to the Radio King and Radio King Student model types, but is missing the throw off arm.

Any suggestions on how to restore/replace the hoops throw off arm? Or is it even worth the effort? I'm not a collector, so I will be parting with this drum. However I would like it to be a nice addition to someone's collection. As nice as I can get it without decreasing it's value.

Posted on 16 years ago

Well... I'm certainly not an authority.. and perhaps this drum in a rarity but the 6 lug student snares don't seem to garner the attention that someone selling one might hope for.

I dated it at early 60's because I have a 6 lug student model in WMP with the closed loop badge stamped 60 on the shell... but certainly anywhere mid 50's to '60 or '61 might be on target.

The construction of 3 point strainer and style of hoop clips might nail it down.. just a guess.

If you're going to sell it, it will likely be to a collector who would want to do the restoration to their own liking.

3 point strainer is good and WMP is good!

I wouldn't put any money into the drum if I were you... I would clean it and offer it for sale.... but this is the opinion of someone who only reads books and doesn't know 1/10th of 1/10th percent of what most of these guys/gals do about playing, restoring, buying or selling drums.

Sounds like a cool old drum!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Can you post pics?

I may be interested.

Harrison
Posted on 16 years ago

Sure can, I'll get some decent pics of it and post them up. I was doing a light cleaning with the Bon-Ami mixture, so I'll get photos of the pieces with close ups. I should post them later tonight or tomorrow. I'll have to shrink them down a bit (using a 10 mp digital SLR) so if you want hi-res, I can try to email them.

Posted on 16 years ago

I put some pics up of it here http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=44519875&albumId=1560680

They were too big to add to the post.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here