Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Slingerland Mistake?

I had the opportunity to buy this Slingerland kit earlier this year, but not knowing much about this set or the vintage market, I passed on it - now I think I made a mistake. It looked really nice to me but I did not want an 18" bass.

The set in question is what I think a 1970's Blue Sparkle Jazz outfit. It had an 18" bass, 14" floor and a 10 & 12 mounted tom, not to mention the matching snare and the hi hat and cymbal stands.

Any ideas on the value of this kit and the year, or any other details?

Thanks Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

I think it was wise not to purchase.

Unless all of the drums are turned the wrong way, they should have badges.

So, to me it looks like a newer wrap.

The snare has reinforcing rings, but no badge hole that I can see.

It is an odd ball in my opinion and unless you handle them and take a closer look, just specualtion.

Nice pass!

David

Posted on 17 years ago

You know David, I never even noticed that about the badges. I looked at the other pictures that I had and there are no badges showing in any of the shots. Dumb luck on my part.

I really thought I had passed up a nice set because it seemed to me that the 18" basses and 14" floor toms are sort of hard to find period, let alone getting a matched set with each. But now I don't feel so bad.

Posted on 17 years ago

That wasn't a vintage set. Looks like a modern and / or recovered set. It's actually a very nice set...great color, good sizes...but it's not old Slingerland.

Posted on 17 years ago

Rich, Thanks for checking this out, I feel alot better based upon your's & David's comments that I did not buy this set. Even though it is a nice kit - I thought it looked nice too.

It goes to show how easy it is for a novice to make a mistake - and, I suppose even alot of seasoned owners do too!

Thanks

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here