Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Slingerland lug question

Hi!

I just bought this Slingerland bass drum shell on Ebay and I plan to fix it up.

I trying to find out what kind of lugs that were originally on the drum, double or single tension? Sound king?

The shell is from 1958 and it's a 22"x12"

Hope someone knows!

/Jonas

2 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

They look like streamline lugs to me, but don't hold me to that because

the picture is hard to tell. They have also been called "Cigar" lugs

The shape of the clean part does not look like a the shape of a sound king lug.

A closer picture of the lug area would be great.

I'm sure DrCJW could tell and answer more directly

Let us know

David

Posted on 18 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Jonas –

Yes, your bass drum needs streamlined lugs as David indicates.

Your drum is an Artists’ Model No. 337A single tension bass drum. While the picture is a bit unclear in the badge area, it looks like you have the first small brass oval, indicating with the other features that your drum was made during 1950 – 1953. In a 12-inch depth your shell size would more likely be 12x24; Slingerland did not make a 12x22, at least as a regular factory practice, at the particular time your drum was made.

The right lugs for your drum are the No. 548 large streamlined lugs for single tension bass drums. The drum has T-rods on one side only, with the tension rod running through the lug to clasp the other hoop. This is shown in the picture below. The No. 337A shown is exactly how your drum came from the factory, except that yours looks to have the 1950 – 1953 oval, while the drum in this picture has the 1953 – 1954 oval. And your hoops were blue with silver sparkle inlay, to match the blue-silver two-tone lacquer.

With a little patience and perseverance you ought to be able to find the right lugs, tension rods, and perhaps even the hoops. They are out there.[/COLOR]

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here