Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Slingerland Lug Question

(I'm cross posting this from another board as I know some people go to one and not the other. Sorry if this is bad form, I'm newish both places. :D)

I'm kinda new to the Sound King era lugs and I know there's tons of stencil kit knockoffs out there. So, I have some 70s shells that I'm trying to lug and I bought a lot of them on eBay. Half of them fit fine, the other half seem to need the holes enlarged a hair to fit. The threaded posts that go into the shell are larger. So, did I get knock offs? Is there some difference with 70s stuff and this is older? Any guess? The left one fits, the right one doesn't. Neither take a metric screw, btw.

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3630/3453829966_079298a500.jpg?v=0[/img]

There's also two other style lugs which are 100% imports. They take a metric screw and the dimples on the sides are shallower like those on my stencil kit.

Posted on 15 years ago

I think both of yours are Slingerlands, one is from the '60s and one from the '70s. A quick way to tell, is that the insert on the newer ones tick out pretty far...while the tension rod inserts for the older one just stick out a bit above the lug itself. "70s ones are pretty easy to find, so I wouldn't put a drill to the drums. Sometimes you can slowly work the older ones into the newer holes as the space difference is real slight.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I would concur...if the right one isn't a later Slingy, it's a hecka good knockoff, actually....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I would concur...if the right one isn't a later Slingy, it's a hecka good knockoff, actually....[/COLOR]

The one on the right won't fit a 70s shell, so I'm going with knockoff. And it is a really good knockoff at that. Those posts on the back side being weird are about the only thing wrong. The others were the standard metric threaded lugs where the two dimples on the front aren't quite as deep as the real thing. The one in the picture is damn close though.

FYI, the inserts on both don't but just peek out of the top of the lug ala the older lugs.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hello, I think both lugs are Slingerland but the one on the right is probably late 1980's or newer and a Slingerland imported lug. I've noticed the mount patterns of the imported lugs (at least some) are slightly different and don't quite fit vintage holes. These lugs are lighter with a thinner black spring. The bottom of the insert (hex shaped part) is also thinner and (I think) sometimes square.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here