Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Slingerland Lug Hole Spacing

This is a simple question I need answered.

Do all 60's/70's Slingerland double ended snare drum lugs have a hole spacing of 2.25 inches or are they different depending upon if they are metal or wood drums? If not, is the only difference the slightly longer mounting screws and cup washers instead of flat washers?

Thanks,

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey Adam, I think the spacing would depend on:

1. Vertical Spacing: Depth of the drum.

2. Horizontal Spacing: Width of the drum.

Cya,

Mike

Re-Read your post...my bad. Yes I think they are all 2.25".

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

The reason I ask is because I have a set of 8 mid 70's double ended snare lugs that came off of a COS shell. I also have the rapid strainer, butt plate, COS hoops and muffler (all in killer shape).

I am currently debating if I should try to find a cool 3 ply shell from the 60's or 70's to throw this hardware on or if I should get a Keller Vintage Mahogany shell and make a "custom" snare with 70's Slingy hardware. This is why I am curious if all the shells have the same 2.25 center to center lug holes or if my only option is to go with a new shell.

If I go with the 60's/70's shell my main problem is if the lugs fit, but second...will be considered an era correct wood shell drum if I have the cup washers on the inside of the lugs....I assume those were only used on metal shelled drums.

This leads me to the next question: Should I just build up a vintage shell with these lugs because who cares if it has the cup washers or not or should I buy some lugs off of a wood shell drum for a rebuild and then use these cup washer lugs for a "custom" drum with newer hoops, Dunnett strainer and butt I have laying around....because then it won't matter if it is "correct"?

Sorry for thinking out loud here! Violin

Does this seem like a plan:

1. Vintage Mahogany 6.5x14 shell wrapped in Green Sparkle with these COS shell Slingerland Lugs, triple flanged hoops (new), and the Dunnett swivel strainer/butt.

2. Yet to be found 60's or 70's Slingy 3 ply shell with yet to be found lugs, and the Slingerland muffler, strainer, butt plate that I have already.

Thougts?

Next logical question: Who has a nice shell and some good looking lugs for me?

Posted on 14 years ago

From Adam_Cargin

The reason I ask is because I have a set of 8 mid 70's double ended snare lugs that came off of a COS shell. I also have the rapid strainer, butt plate, COS hoops and muffler (all in killer shape).I am currently debating if I should try to find a cool 3 ply shell from the 60's or 70's to throw this hardware on or if I should get a Keller Vintage Mahogany shell and make a "custom" snare with 70's Slingy hardware. This is why I am curious if all the shells have the same 2.25 center to center lug holes or if my only option is to go with a new shell.If I go with the 60's/70's shell my main problem is if the lugs fit, but second...will be considered an era correct wood shell drum if I have the cup washers on the inside of the lugs....I assume those were only used on metal shelled drums.This leads me to the next question: Should I just build up a vintage shell with these lugs because who cares if it has the cup washers or not or should I buy some lugs off of a wood shell drum for a rebuild and then use these cup washer lugs for a "custom" drum with newer hoops, Dunnett strainer and butt I have laying around....because then it won't matter if it is "correct"?Sorry for thinking out loud here! ViolinDoes this seem like a plan:1. Vintage Mahogany 6.5x14 shell wrapped in Green Sparkle with these COS shell Slingerland Lugs, triple flanged hoops (new), and the Dunnett swivel strainer/butt.2. Yet to be found 60's or 70's Slingy 3 ply shell with yet to be found lugs, and the Slingerland muffler, strainer, butt plate that I have already.Thougts?Next logical question: Who has a nice shell and some good looking lugs for me?

Adam are you talking about the sound king lug?? I think you are?here's where your heading, i have built many boutique drums and the cool thing about them, is it is your drum you built! you will spend more on the keller shell then have all necessary work done, holes drilled, snare bed cut, bearing edges, then buy the other hardware, why don't you either go the route your heading in or just sell the parts and buy a whole vintage slingerland snare drum you'll probably have less money in the vintage complete drum.. i have a keller vintage 6 1/2x14 it is awesome but i have a ton of money in it to,here are some pics of it,it has all vintage ludwig and leedy hardware on it.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

I bought a nos Slingerland single ply maple shell and outfitted it with repro hardware (slingy) and a dunnett throw and butt. With materials and having the edges and snare beds done by a pro it cost me about 320.00$, not bad for a cool solid shell. The wrap is a sky blue pearl. The only con to this drum is that I think it is a bit oversized, heads fit a bit tight. Thats why it was never used, I think. This has become my all around drum. Used it Friday night at a gig and got a ton of compliments on the snare sound.

Posted on 14 years ago

Nice job on that Vintage Mahogany Ludwig/Leedy repro Vintagemore! Looks great!

I definitely want a keller vintage mahogany shell. 81 bucks plus shipping aint bad from Precision. I have everything else taken care of (edges, beds, drilling) and I already have the wrap, hoops, dunnett strainer/butt, and soundking lugs. Due to the deals I have worked out in the past I would only have about 150 bucks into that drum. Seems like a plan to me.

As far as the old shells go...that NOS solid shell sounds sweet, but an expensive route to go....and I already have a 40's Radio King...I think I am just going to wait until I find a cool 3 ply shell in a cool color on the bay and grab some sound king lugs with appropriate mounting screws for cheap when I get the chance and assemble it with my hoops and rapid strainer/butt.....or maybe I should just get rid of them and buy a complete drum. I don't know.

Maybe I should just use all of the Slingerland parts on a Vintage Mahogany shell and have it be a straight up repro of a 3 ply Slingy!

The only thing I really need to know is....are you sure that 2.25 was always the hole spacing on the Soundking lugs? The rest will work itself out I am sure. Thanks for the comments though!

!

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

I am pretty sure that was the spacing. I have three old slingys, I'll measure them tomorrow.

Posted on 14 years ago

No worries Lucky. I got it. Just got two 60's Slingy snares but I wanted to see if anyone just knew off the top of their heads last night. I will just take a head off of this 1961 Student Model snare I am going to refin and check it out.

Thanks guys!

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Looks like 2.25 on both.

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here