Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Slingerland Lites

Hello Dr.

I just picked up a set of Lites in a white creme lacquer (which the seller says has checkered and needs attention). They are a 9x10, 10x12 and 12x14 toms and 16x20 bass drum.

Serial numbers in the 0135X range with the gold Ridgeland football badges.

Judging by the serial number I am assuming they are from 1990-91ish.

Any insights into the Lite line?

thanks for your time.

Posted on 18 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Well the Slingerland Lite story can be lengthy.

The basics are that they were made primarily during 1991 - 1994, during the Gretsch period of Slingerland ownership, at the Ridgeland, S.C. facility by the same personnel who made the top line of Gretsch drums. They were marketed by HSS. There was a misconception at the time that Slingerland Lites were ?just Gretsch drums with Slingerland hardware?, as in fact I remember hearing more than one dealer say. In truth however, while Jasper made the Lite shells, they were not at all the same as Gretsch shells. Lite shells were all maple with a different ply lay-up, custom made by Jasper for the Slingerland Lite line. The Lites mostly used Niles hardware: some Magnum fixtures, some TDR, etc, though a few items appeared that were not of Niles pedigree.

The lacquer finishes were done by Gretsch, and were real lacquer ? not the stronger polyurethanes as used today. So weather checking on Lites is often observed, particularly on Cr?me Lacquer and Black Lacquer. Red Violin seems to have fared better over the years.

Slingerland Lites are very nice drums, highly prized by many drummers I know who own them.[/COLOR]

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for the info Dr.

Yes, the bass drum has a Magnum tom mount 'receiver'.

The brackets on the toms themselves look like modified Magnums - there doesn't appear to be the lever which choked the plastic sleeve - just the 'Mickey Mouse ears' style wingscrew.

Can't wait to play'em.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here