Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Slingerland Krupa Cob Sound King Snare

Anyone out there currently playing a Krupa Sound King snare in a 6 1/2 x 14 configuration from the 60s? If so, could you please share with me your comments regarding this particular drum? Is it worth purchasing? Does it compare in any way to the Ludwig Supraphonic? Any idea what would be considered fair market value for this particular model and size (10 lugs/zoomatic strainer)?

THANKS in advance for your help!

Posted on 14 years ago

Kevins plays a 6 1/2. I've got the 5. It's one of the coolest snares I've ever played. I've got a Supra and it doesn't come close to the Krupa. The feel and power and sensitivity are considerably better on the Krupa. I can breathe on the Krupa and it will respond. I can also lay deep into it and it will slap you smack dab in the face. Amazing drum. It doesn't have that annoying off-tone ring that comes stock with every Supra I've owned. The Krupa's ring is melodic and pleasing. That's my take, anyway.

Posted on 14 years ago

I keep mine tuned rather low, with Fiberskin 3 batter and an Ambassador hazy on the snare side, so I get that BIG FUZZY explosion sound that I dig. I have the muffler just grazing the head, and there's almost zero ring... just a tad.

My Supras are both 5.5s I have them cranked tight for that Copeland pop when I want that.

My Krupa is a 72ish and I wound up putting around $190 in it after replacing the missing Broadway butt for $30. Seems that Krupas from the seventies are going for around 175 to 250 or thereabouts on Dabay. Don't know if a 60s model would go for more or less.

Not a lot of specific info towards you question, but that's all I got, OldSchool.

Love ya man...

:)

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

The Slingerland COB drums sound completely different than the alloy or brass supras. They're both great, but not at all similar.

Posted on 14 years ago

Rich K makes a good point,

The slingerland is a very different drum. Mostly because as you say it is COB whereas most supra's (unless you are very lucky to have an early one) arent. but also to do with bearing edges and just being differing drums. maybe this will help your choice:

Sound:

Dark, rich, full sound with texture and cut. range goes from very sensitive to cutting power

Issues:

Unlike the later Supra's they do not usually suffer from pitting because it is chrome over brass. The only issues I have seen are slightly dented shells from the soft brass "pulling" over time and this is usually very easy to put right

Price:

As above, Anywhere between 150 - 250

Summary:

It is no doubt a great drum, im sure it will never have that legendary supra status but for the price it is huge value for money. I havent been able to fault it and it does everything I expect from a brass drum. Opinions will vary as fans of the different drums would have their personal favourites but I dont think anyone would argue this is a really pro drum - a real diamond in the rough.

I love mine - 67' 5" soundking with the twin throw. But if I was given the choice I would take the 6.5" GK which is an absolute lady killer.

IMO - Buy it, Play it, Love it.

hit hard
Posted on 14 years ago

ALL: Thanks for taking the time to provide the great information!Bowing

I certainly appreciate it.

The current owner's asking $300 for the drum and, at this point, he's not willing to negotiate. :mad:

Perhaps a little down the road he'll change his mind.

THANKS AGAIN for the input!

Posted on 14 years ago

I would think down the road on that one as well.

There will be another.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here