Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Slingerland kit ...Info PLEASE?

Hey guys,

Please give me some information on this Slingerland kit. I hope it was a good deal, but I'm new to the vintage drum scene. The sizes are 12" Tom (serial #207887), 13" Tom (serial # 207898), 16" Floor (serial # 222773) and 20" bass drum (serial # 208990). All have the black and gold badges. Not sure what the finish is called. Would this be a good canidate for a restoration, do the drums have any vintage value? As you can see from the pictures all are missing the bottom rims and screws. I'm not sure what kind of top rims I have on the kit, but I want to buy the same for the bottom if the kit is worth restoring. What you guys think? Can you give me some information and some feedback?

5 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I can't say if it was a good deal until I know what you paid. Burger Kin

But they look pretty nice and I'm sure they sound great (or will when you get the bottom heads, etc. on there.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Well, checking the drum finishes under the "Vintage Drum Identification" link above would indicate this to be Blue Onyx Pearl. The Set-O-Matic tom mount was introduced in 1968.. and '68-'69 matches up with the serial# graph Dr. CJW has provided. Might be a Modern Solo kit. Torpedo handle t-rods on the bass drum.. flared legs on the floor tom.. I think that all lines up correctly.. they should be date stamped inside.

Sticksaver hoops and t-rods can be had pretty easily.. maybe $35 a drum. The Blue Onyx inlay on a 20" bass drum hoop might be a tough one. 20" hoop you can find ($35-$40) so you could probably do some kind of scan or computer image drawing of the finish then string it together and have a copier shop run you a long plot of it on paper to wrap the hoop while you search for a correct inlay. (just a crazy idea there). Claws and torpedo handle t-rods for the bass could set you back $75-$100 depending on condition. COB Sound King sitting on a flat base stand behind them for another $200. Correct bass drum pedal.. $25.00, correct Hi Hat stand $50.00... two flat bottom cymbal stands.. $200.

I seem to remember reading that the Blue Onyx wrap was prone to spliting.. but that is just a foggy recall.. may not be true.

3 ply shells with the biege paint interiors... great vintage finish.. I would think it would be a great project, from a distance they look in fine shape. Full restoration with correct hardware.. value for the 4 piece somewhere between $700 and $900 depending on the day. With all the correct "stuff" making it a complete kit.. maybe $1200.00.

Disclaimer... all of the above is subject to verification from somebody who knows what they are talking about. ;)

** follow up: Hey good, I'm wrong, Blue Oynx is still available.. http://www.jamminsam.com/onyx_blue_on_drums_1.htm

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Awesome kit, just like my first. What did you pay, I have been thinking about trying to find one for myself.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I paid $300 for the kit.

Posted on 15 years ago

It's a good deal.Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Should be Blue Agate Pearl!

David

The Rogers guys call it Blue Onyx! :)

Posted on 15 years ago

Sure enough Blue Agate Pearl.. (glad I put my standard disclaimer on that post).

Man I just got Rogers on the brain these days...

Thanks David!!

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Prostix,

This looks like it might be a decent deal on some T-rods and claws for your project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slingerland-Bass-Drum-Ts-and-Claws_W0QQitemZ160303250716QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDrum_Percussion_Accessories?hash=item160303250716&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Disclaimer: I just took a quick glance... evaluate condition and so forth to your own satisfaction.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Prostix,This looks like it might be a decent deal on some T-rods and claws for your project.http://cgi.ebay.com/Slingerland-Bass-Drum-Ts-and-Claws_W0QQitemZ160303250716QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDrum_Percussion_Accessories?hash=item160303250716&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318Disclaimer: I just took a quick glance... evaluate condition and so forth to your own satisfaction.

that is a good deal on those t's and claws.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here