Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

slingerland kit identification

Hi,

I am trying to figure out this kit. There seems to be only one date stamp in the rack tom. I cant figure out if it says Oct 1966 or 1968 because it is so smudged. Are there other characteristics that would help? The serials are gold badge 110,000-ish

I was told that the rack mount is not original because one of the owners wanted a second tom. A silver badge tom with the same wrap was included. There are four extra holes which I assume were for the original mount

I do have the bottom rims, I had just taken them off.

Thanks

*********the site wont let me upload the photos, I will try later!********

Posted on 15 years ago

pic attached

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Hard to get that accurate as to whether it's '66 or '68. It's a medium-high serial # gold/black badge...which puts it middle-late '60's. The badge switched to silver/black in late '60's ('68/'69).

I have renovated moire Slingerlands than any other drum. I must have had about 60 shells come thru here over the past 4 years. If I had to guess, I would lean towards '66. Most gold/black badges are mid-60's. I have never seen one as late as '69. So...I don't know if you can get any closer than you have gotten already.

yes, if the tom is silver badge, then it's an add-on. This may effect value as a vintage kit (since "factory" original kits are worth more)....but in reality, the drumshell, edge and hardware designs from '63-'70 are no different from each other. So it's the same drum, as long as the shell thicknesses match.

Here's a thought: are the tom leg mounts pushbutton or thumbscrew ? If the former, then it's '66. If the latter...it may be either '66 or '68. [/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

What about the interior of the shell, does it have the chocolate milk paint? I think that would put it after 66.

Posted on 15 years ago

They are thumbscrew. The bass drum has no badge, is that common?

It came with two toms, one original, one not. They match so I guess I will keep them together. Actually, I may part out the extra tom if I sell the kit since it probably adds no value and might make someone else happy.

It had a setomatic mount installed to accomodate the toms which is unfortunate because otherwise it is in great shape. There are four extra holes.

Posted on 15 years ago

Yes, it is chocolate milk although the extra tom is not.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I thought the painted interior shells were older...the lacquered interior shells were later...no (?)[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I think they had a time between 66 or 67 to 69 when they used the paint. I have a 66 kit with clear interiors and another newer kit, I think early seventies with clear also. The paint fell inbetween.

Posted on 15 years ago

The Dr has a timeline for shells and dates the chocolate from 1966 - 1971. Here is the article. He explains it in more detail in the article

David

Posted on 15 years ago

I guess that wont solve the mystery, since it seems the paint was the same for both periods. it seems as though there isnt really much to distinguish the sets between 66 and 68 so it could be either?

Since it had the consolette type mount (removed), anybody have any idea which kit it would be assuming it is a 66 or 68? It also had matching snare if that helps

Looking at the 1967 catalogue on the site, my best guess is the Modern Jazz Outfit although that came with a metal snare. With the addition of the second tom, it looks like the Modern Solo Outfit although it has the setomatic mount and a 70s tom.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here