Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Slingerland Identification

Hi,

Through sheer luck and enough searching I managed to get my hands on a vintage slingerland kit. It is a niles era 3 piece (20", 13", 16") in light blue marine pearl with a Super Sound King COB snare. It is in very good condition and I am simply stripping it cleaning it, and re-assembling it. The shells are what I understand to be the standard for that era: 3ply, mahogany, thick poplar and maple, with maple reinforcing rings. The inside is coated in the weak chocolate milk sealant.

I just have a few questions for those more knowledgeable:

-On the inside of the drums there is a "P" printed, what does this signify?

- I noticed in the bass drum lugs have a felt wrapped around the springs, what is this for? also none of the toms have this felt, should they?

-The one problem is the bass drum hoops, which are split and out of round, is there a manufacturer who makes them new, or am i better off finding old replacements?

- Am I right in thinking the snare drum (which has the 3 grooves) is a later model than when the kit would appear to be from? even though it holds the same niles era badge.

I am from South Africa and paid the equivalent of about 250us$ for the whole set up (stands, vintage cymbals, pedals, sticks etc etc)Excited

Thanks in advance,

Justin

hit hard
Posted on 15 years ago

The was supposedly to signify a pearl covering for the shell. Some lacquer or painted drums have a W or M.

I've seen some with the felt in the springs (to keep them from buzzing) and some without. I'm guessing the later ones had the felts. Tan interiors would signify later '60s drums.

You can usually find correct Slingerland bass drum hoops on ebay in decent shape. If not, Precision and other similar suppliers will make them for you. Make sure to get the correct measurement for width of hoop and width of inlay.

If the badge on the snare is brass and black and has a similar serial # to the rest of the drums, it's probably from the same era.

Check out the Slingerland ID section on this site with regard to badges and serial #s.

Posted on 15 years ago

Congratulations on a great score! We would love to see pics if you can.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks so much for the help fellas. I will be glad to post some pics when its up and grooving.

On another note, being a younger drummer my experience lies with newer kits (dw), so most of the knowledge I have attained on drum heads is in that area.

When it comes to this kit, I was thinking of putting 2 ply heads like coated Emperors or G2s on the kit, and something like an EMAD or superkick II on the bass drum. Will They will enhance the inherent warmth and "fatness" of the kits sound?

Is there any recommendations you guys may have around this topic?

hit hard
Posted on 15 years ago

Great drums! You might try clear Emporors on top and clear Ambassadors underneath. I've got these on a 5-piece kit and the toms sing. Bass drum not sure, I use 16's and 18's so have a different sound and tuning need.

For bass hoops try http://www.aitwood.com/ Anderson Intl. Great people to deal with.

Regards

DonS

Posted on 15 years ago

From DonS

Great drums! You might try clear Emporors on top and clear Ambassadors underneath. I've got these on a 5-piece kit and the toms sing. Bass drum not sure, I use 16's and 18's so have a different sound and tuning need.For bass hoops try http://www.aitwood.com/ Anderson Intl. Great people to deal with. RegardsDonS

You are correct about aitwood but they charge an arm and a leg to ship!!!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here