Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Slingerland FT stripping.

Hello all,

Recently I have had 2 of the floor tom leg assembly's strip on me. Please pardon my lack of not knowing the correct name of the part, but it's the assembly on the drum that holds the floor tom legs. So 2 of the 3 have stripped causing the floor to legs to not hold. I backed the wing bolt out ad noticed a fair amount of metal threads with it.

Question - Can I tap and re-thread these pieces, or am I now shopping for more ft leg brackets?

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Randy Lane's YouTube Page
Posted on 13 years ago

From Randydrummer

Hello all,Recently I have had 2 of the floor tom leg assembly's strip on me. Please pardon my lack of not knowing the correct name of the part, but it's the assembly on the drum that holds the floor tom legs. So 2 of the 3 have stripped causing the floor to legs to not hold. I backed the wing bolt out ad noticed a fair amount of metal threads with it.Question - Can I tap and re-thread these pieces, or am I now shopping for more ft leg brackets?

Floor tom leg brackets, or leg brackets. You can go to Harbor Freight and get the little inserts for stripped out holes, but will still need to drill out the holes to fit it, or if you can find appropriate bolts re-tap them. Be very careful as these parts are made of really nothing more than pot metal, so if you get the angle wrong, well...it could make them useless altogether.

You know the other alternative, and I saw just this week someone right here on the forum asking 35 each for them, plus shipping.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

I would look into a Helicoil for those,since the Helicoil threads are actually harder than the pot metal.They are larger(obviously)than the original thread,so the hole on the surface will not be perfect.A reputable auto repair shop or a machine shop can do this job.Helicoils,in my experience,do NOT strip.

Posted on 13 years ago

From Randydrummer

Hello all,Recently I have had 2 of the floor tom leg assembly's strip on me. Please pardon my lack of not knowing the correct name of the part, but it's the assembly on the drum that holds the floor tom legs. So 2 of the 3 have stripped causing the floor to legs to not hold. I backed the wing bolt out ad noticed a fair amount of metal threads with it.Question - Can I tap and re-thread these pieces, or am I now shopping for more ft leg brackets?

Yes you can re=tap them,just make sure that the tap threads are the same as the mount...Or you can fix them by useing Ludwig inserts/and wing nuts from tom/lug mounts you may have to drill the hole alittle bigger in the mount to fit the inserts..This is a way i have reworked the Slingerland mounts in the pass...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Wow! I never would have thought of that fix. Thanks again. Yet another example of why this Forum is great!

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Randy Lane's YouTube Page
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here