Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Slingerland filler material

Does anyone know what the yellowish putty that Slingerland was using in the sixties is. They used it to fill voids around the re ring area. It looks like Durhams rock hard water putty.

When it needs replaced due to it falling out, what do you use?

Thanks, Kerry

Posted on 9 years ago

Hey Kerry,

My take on Durhams rock hard water putty is it is bad news in a drum application. Not designed for vibration. Cures too hard and does not bond well with the base material.

I like the sandable/stainable wood filer by Elmores.

With any luck will get others idea's on the subject.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

i've used the elmer's stuff for years with no issues.

Posted on 9 years ago

Bondo!!!!!

Posted on 9 years ago

Here in canada we get stuff called Lepages plastic wood.

Doesn't take stain to well but is a great filler. bond and sands great. very long lasting repairs.

rebuilt many chewed up edges with this stuff over the years.

Jim

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 9 years ago

My 16" floor tom had a dead spot on the reso side edge. It was too deep to just leave. I used basic woodfiller from minwax. Great bonding to the wood and it can be removed if desired down the road. It's not super hard sort of like a stick of chalk to best describe once it's dry. Been the better part of 2 years under constant use and tension. The pic is not the best and taken looking through the clear reso head. I'm sure there's better products but this was on hand and worked fine for my needs. Good luck!! Hope you can find the original stuff they used.

1 attachments
Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I ended up using elmers wood putty. I posted hoping someone would know exactly what Slingerland used. Its fixed know and I thank you all.

Kerry

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here