Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Slingerland fanatic,new member

howdy drummers,

Great website,Ive been visiting for awhile and finally decided to join once I saw all the Slingerland junkies that hang out here !

I was a very lucky kid growing up in Chicago in the 70's,my father was a professional musician and bandleader in the Chicagoland area for more than four decades !

My dads drummer was a long time Slingerland employee(Brad Morey) he was a great drummer and friend,he was always very kind and generous to me,he would always spend time with me whenever he would visit our house in Edgebrook,usually with a box of Slingerland drumsticks or some other little treat from the slingy plant!

My dad and I would often visit Brad at Slingerland on Milwaukee ave. in Niles Il. , which wasnt too far from where we lived in the northwest corner of Chicago and he would always walk me through the factory!

I was able to see and learn about all their phases of manufacturing from

forming rims in a metal press ,to glueing up shells,applying finishes, to even how they would age the metal snare coils in a wood bin before making them into snare wires,AHH! what great memories !

Man the stories I could tell you,like seeing and touching buddy's and louie's

extra drum sets locked in a caged area ready to be shipped out at a moments notice wherever they might need an auxillary kit wherever they might be performing when they were Slingy endorsers !

Also getting a fresh set of remo pinstripes when they first came out before they were in the stores, with the Slingerland logo on them!

getting to meet louies brother tony bellson also a Slingerland employee and good drummer, boy they looked alot alike!

I guess I was a little spoiled in the way that Slingerland was kind of my own personal drum shop throughout most of their Niles Il. era ! Whenever I needed sticks,heads or parts , I'd just call Brad and he'd drop it off on his way home from the factory,boy was I Blessed to know him and have a dad that truly appreciated drummers!

Well this has gotten pretty lengthy for my fist post so ill sinn off for know,

any Slingerland questions just bang away !

Sincerely C.G.

AKA Slingerhead 65

Posted on 15 years ago

Welcome[COLOR="DarkRed"]Man...I bet you got some more stories, too !

...talk about livin at drummer's ground zero....

post some pics of your kit(s)....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Big Welcome SH65,

I have always been curious about your average guy building Slingerland drums in Niles, Ill. I work in computers... when you tour a computer plant... they are banging out a commodity, granted it is a machine with incredible capability but still, you look at the faces, and they are banging out a commodity.

So I'm curious about a drum factory.. did it feel like there was a sense that they could be building an instrument for the next Krupa, Bellson, Rich... somebody who might change the way drumming is done and be the envy of generations of music lovers... or was it average Joe's banging out a commodity.

It's ok either way, it is what it is... I'm just curious.

Thanks!!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

How ya doin guys,

thanks for replying so soon to a newcomers post it made me feel welcome,

I wrote that post the other night after boppin around the site and seeing all the Slingerland questions,I found myself reminiscing ,thanks for indulging me.

Im not surrounded by fellow drum lovers here in carson city,like I was in phoenix or chicago,the highlight of my week is driving to reno to work various gigs around town,attitudes are alot different here,not as friendly,maybe they dont like a newcommer that can actually play,theres a female drummer now ****ed of at me because i got the gig she wanted after telling me that not singing was a handicap,oh well !

To answer your question Jaye,

yes i do have alot of great drum related stories to tell and when i get some fee time, I'd love to tell about them,I was lucky to have a dad who was a pro,which meant I was always highly exposed to music and the music buisiness from an early age !

And to answer jims question,

I would say it was a mix of both jim,I mean everyone always seemed happy to be there,but I would say it was 50/50, I would see guys banging out mass quantities of stuff like racks and racks of rims,machining and casting parts,

chrome dipping,assembling hardware,and then the guys making the shells always seemed to be the guys that had been there the longest and they seemmed to be intense about what they were doing,the seemed to be the happiest of all,they were like the gurus of the place,liked they worked long and hard to get that position. I know there were certain employees that were given the task of making sets for the top drummers,I know those guys were acted like they on a mission from God and i can understand that ,they were under pressue to make the best Slingerland could make,their reputation depended on it,I have to wonder If some of them actually thought of what they were doing could actually be for some talented up and commer,I would have to say yes,they all seemed to be very happy and very proud of what they were doing !!! Its like they knew they were making one of the best drums on the market at the time. back then slingerland and ludwig both from chicago at the time were still prety much the 2 largest drum companies around. I would say that their supplying of marching drums were more of a comodity for them ,supplying schools all over the country,I think it was big buisiness for them from the middle seventies till thy folded and its what kept them afloat at a time when so many other companies were entering the market ! Istill think it was a labor of love for most of the emp,oyees there.

weel Ieve gotta go for now have a god day guys

Slingerhead65

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here