Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Slingerland drums with actual carboard shells

I stripped all the hardware like the Sticksaver hoops, and Setomatic hardware off a set of older Slingerlands that have black wrapped "cardboard" shells like a 50 gallon fiberboard drum would have. They have oval badges that are stickers!! The shells are so badly smashed in and caved in i cannot believe it. The thing is it had all of the same hardware as the 60's and 70's but with the late 70's/early 80's Super Setomatic tom mounting system. What happened to Slingerland in this time period and has anyone ever came across these shells or have info on why they would do this to their drums. I still have the shells ready to go out in the trash.

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes. They actually did this. As odd as it sounds, they made drums out of it.

DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY.

Keep the drums for a true historian. They will want them as specimens. As you can imagine, there aren't a lot of those that have survived. Thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago

They did this in the early 80's according to the Rob Cook book.

It is referred to as a "new low".

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Can you post some pictures?

I know during WWII Deagan started using cardboard resonators on their mallet instruments. (http://www.wadeculbreath.com/deagan/images/36.jpg) Metal was rationed for tanks, bullets, airplanes, etc. so cardboard was really the only thing they used. I even have an old Leedy drum that came with a Barry Bass Drum that is made of really hard fiberboard. It sounds like total crap.

A few timpani were even manufactured out of wood. Here's an example of a Schnellar timpani most likely from around WWI, made of wood for the metal rationing.

http://malletshop.com/museum_detail.cfm?prod=258

I'm surprised that Slingerland was doing that so late in the game, with no war on . . . or at least no rationing or war effort.

Were these meant to be budget lines or student models of some sort?

Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, pics please. They are kind of a mythical beast, as horrible as they are.

Posted on 14 years ago

From jeremybranson

Were these meant to be budget lines or student models of some sort?

No. They were meant to be a "profit" line. They thought that they could get away with using Sonatube instead of wood plies. It was cheaper and seemed like a good idea at the time. Low manufacturing cost equaled higher profit margin. That works out great if you actually sell the product...and then don't have to give the money back due to returns. One of the last great lessons of the American Drum Industry.

Posted on 14 years ago

From mcjnic

No. They were meant to be a "profit" line. They thought that they could get away with using Sonatube instead of wood plies. It was cheaper and seemed like a good idea at the time. Low manufacturing cost equaled higher profit margin. That works out great if you actually sell the product...and then don't have to give the money back due to returns. One of the last great lessons of the American Drum Industry.

Isn't that basically what Remo's "Acousicon" shells are?

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]They are like that, sort of a masonite in their beginning/raw state...but they are then finished w/ a resin-coating (which I discovered, is a surface which does not take contact cement well at all....). The result is a very dense shell surface.

Remo at least did some R & D to try to come up with something decent sounding....their edges are actually fairly precise.....(and honestly, Acousticons don't sound bad, nor are they constructed badly....)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Silver"]I, too...have never actually laid eyeballs on the infamous Slingy cardboard shells....I already get too depressed whenever I come across their gross, thick, "inside-out" 3-ply poplar shells......[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Ludwig-dude

Isn't that basically what Remo's "Acousicon" shells are?

Not even close. REMO's shells are actually quite nice. They are very dense and have an excellent sound overall. I would play a REMO kit with the new shells in a heartbeat. I love the snare. VERY sensitive and lively. It's kind of like a fiberglass, but with a serious amount of warmth. Fiberglass was always just a bit too ... undrumlike for my tastes. What REMO did was take the liveliness of the fiberglass drum, mixed it with the characteristics of a thin maple wood drum, and added a lot of sensitivity to it. The mix is undeniably good. They also have excellent hardware on the drums. Pretty cool stuff.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It's the Quadura shells which are the cheapies....the Acousticons are upper line.....if memory serves, the Acousticons actually did a hella number on our table-saw blade...that resin is really in there....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here