Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Slingerland Drums Help Needed

Earlier today I picked up a Slingerland White Satin Flame Artist Model snare drum. Based on my limited research, I believe this particular wrap was only offered between the years of 1964 through 1969. The serial number on the Black & Brass Niles badge is 51766. I believe that this would indicate date of manufacture sometime around 1966. Am I somewhat close?

I'm also trying to obtain the correct information regarding the shell of this particular drum for cataloging purposes. I've failed miserably in my attempts to understand shell "plies" for some reason. If anyone could provide a brief tutorial ("plies for dummies"; i.e., ME!:confused:) as to how to correctly identify the number of plies and how the plies affect the value and/or sound quality of a drum I'd be eternally grateful. Hopefully, I'm not the only one who struggles with this.

Any other information that you might be able to "enlighten me" with regarding this particular snare would also be greatly appreciated.

As usual, thanks in advance for your time and your help!Bowing

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm not so sure you need to concern yourself with plies. You may wish to consider 'ply' only.

Posted on 14 years ago

I also 2nd that motion, i have a wmp slingerland from close to the same serial number as oldschools and mine is one ply, man they really sound great, very easy to get whatever sound you want out of it, oldschool that is a sweet looking snare drum!!!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

I have to agree, looks like a solid shell from the pics.

Posted on 14 years ago

It's also pretty unusual to find a one ply shell from that late date...usually, by then, the artists had 3 ply shells.

Posted on 14 years ago

THANKS for the feedback to date. It seems that you all agree that the shell on my White Satin Flame Artist is a one-ply. I'm still not completely clear as to what effect the number of plies has on the value and/or the sound of the drum. Can someone please chime in here?

Today I received another Slingerland snare drum that I recently purchased. This one is in a very "mellowed" (never "yellowed") White Marine Pearl wrap with the Slingerland Black & Brass Niles badge with serial number 49929. The shell is date stamped NOV 64. I've attached some pics of the shell on this one. Another one-ply, correct? Was this common for a Slingerland Hollywood Ace from this era?

As usual, I appreciate any and all comments!

Posted on 14 years ago

That one looks like a three ply to me. What type of throw is on it? As far as a difference between a solid shell and a three ply well I have both. My solid shell I put together from an old Slingy shell that was never drilled. I used repro lugs and hoops with a Dunnett throw and butt, I was going to use 30 degree edges but the guy who cut them talked me into going with 45 degree.They both have Puresound custom twenty strand wires. The solid shell is more articulate and crisp with a fantastic cross stick and very sensitve. The three ply is much darker and woody with more of a slap, still a good snare. I haven't messed with head selection on the three ply as much, right now it has a coated powerstroke 3 on it, an evans J1 etched on the solid. Hope that helps.

Posted on 14 years ago

LUCKY: Thanks for your input. It must be the fact that I've only got one "good" eye because both shells look the same to me. In regard to the strainer on the WMP snare, it's got the Slingerland Rapid strainer mounted on the shell.

Posted on 14 years ago

Your welcome. I have the exact same snare. Close up pics of the white satin flame edge and we could make a positive ID.

Posted on 14 years ago

LUCKY: Here ya go! All the feedback I've received on this one has stated that it's a one-ply. Appreciate your time and input!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here