Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.24843%

Slingerland Drum Set Question from Web Site

[font=arial][size=2]I recently rescued an old Slingerland kit from oblivion in a thrift store for $60 and was wondering if you might have an idea as to its age its a 5 piece 20" bass, 2-12" toms with the cheesy clip slip on double tom bracket, 16 "floor tom w/ straight legs and 5x14" snare (brass? magnets don't stick to any of the hardware on any of the drums) its chrome finish with 3 grooves around the center of the shell with a zoomatic strainer. The badges on all the drums are black and copper colored oval with serial # ranging from 127,000-158,000. Made in Niles Illinois the kit is finished in WMP. I've searched the Slingerland book but didn't find a picture of it. Would you happen to have a picture from a Slingerland catalog that fits the description of my kit? Thanks for your help and may I say that your web sight is really great!! [/size][/font]

Posted on 19 years ago

The 1964 Slingerland catalog shows that same configuration with two 12" toms. It was called the Modern Solo Outfit No. 2R

The snare is probably the Krupa Sound King with extended butt side. As always without any pictures this is an educated guess based on the information. The exact year would be difficult to pinpoint but we could say 60's.

Based on what you paid, I would say that is a true score! Then again condition plays a heavy factor and in a thrift store it might not be that great.

Also WMP is a popular wrap and many people are looking for WMP Slingerland drums. Nice find and a great deal

I hope that helps

David

[img]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/Slingerland_1964_th.jpg[/img]

Posted on 19 years ago

Thanks David for all the great info and the picture, that is the kit exactly!

When I first saw the kit the owner referred to it as the green drum set and it was indeed covered in a light shade of green untill I took it home and gently cleaned off 40 years of grime and lo and behold she shined up real nice and pretty. There are a few minor blemishes and some fading in spots on the WMP finish but step back a few feet and this set shines.What is a fair price for this kit in todays market?

Best to all,

beatnick

Posted on 19 years ago

Since you say condition is good. (excellent would not have the finish issues)

I would say from $450 up for just the drums less the snare.

I just bought the same snare on Ebay for $125 recently. (No dents and in excellent condition)

On Ebay I have seen people asking in the $800 range or more for sets like this and they do not get bids or sell.

Let's see what Steve Maxwell says, he knows more about pricing and the market at the moment.

Pictures would help!!!

David

Posted on 19 years ago

The "two 12s" are a hard sell, especially with the clip mount tom holder. Even the later double tom set-o-matic wasn't great in terms of positioning, but you could always swap out the center double tom arm for a single tom arm with the set-o-matic and you'd have a nice single tom kit with good placement for the small tom. But, the clip mount is the worst, and there is no option for mounting a single tom other than just hanging it on the existing holder. It makes for a lousy single tom set up. I had two sets in the recent past. Both were 12/12/16/20 and both had the clip mounts. One was ultra rare red ripple and the other was blue agate. The blue agate kit had a matching 8 lug snare. Anyhow, the blue agate ended up going out as a 12/16/20/5x14 and we sold the other tom by itself. The red ripple went out complete. Both took a long time to sell. As rare as the red ripple was, I had trouble selling it because of the two "same size" toms and the clip mount holder. So, bottom line is that I'm thinking that the toms and BD are probably worth $500 as long as everything is clean and original, and maybe $125-$150 for the snare, so I'm pretty much in line with David's estimate.

Steve

Posted on 19 years ago

There's actually a pretty simple way to convert that double clip mount to a double setomatic mount.

Setomatic tom mounts use the same holes as the diamond plate on the tom. (You have to use the double setomatic mount, so there's no pole going into the tom. This actually works better even if using one tom, as the the tom doesn't get pushed out too far from the center of the bass drum...)

Slingerland made a setomatic "ball on pole" that was used on free standing stands (for concert toms, or double bass sets, etc.) That pole fits into the mount on the bass drum. Then attach a double setomatic mount to the ball and "voila," you have a nice, functional set up, without drilling...

All these parts are pretty easy to find.

Posted on 19 years ago
Action Another action Something else here