Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Slingerland dating

Hi, ive been cruising the sight and reading articles but am still cant nail down just what i have. It is a 5 piece slingerland purchased in 1947, however, i cant find the reciepts or paperwork (my wife's grandpa was an avid drummer and this was his set).

The set is Marine pearl 28" kick, 16",14",13" toms and a 14x7 6 lug snare. A few oddities about the set: i cant identify which badge it is they look so very similar in the laquered brass to me. The snare has dark hardwood throw-outs that are painted white on it and the lugs are offset (or staggered)from the top to the bottom. There is a set of blocks that i believe may be original equipment because i have seen some pics of slingerlands with very similar red blocks mounted on them (sorry no pics of those today, they arent here)

The floor tom appears to me to be walnut with 2.5" maple rings, while the snare is maple on maple. I really dont know what else to tell you to help but if you need more info please, please reply. I have included a few pics, and any help you can give nailing down a date on these drums would be greatly appreciated as i am considering restoring them. I love the patina on the shells but the vinyl (is it vinyl?) is cracked pretty bad on most of them. If you need more pics just let me know.

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Brandoom:

Well you have a very interesting snare drum with a genuine Slingerland pedigree.

You have a Rolling Bomber snare drum made during 1942 ? 1943. Your snare drum has a solid maple shell and originally had rosewood lugs and strainer body, and wood hoops with matching WMP inlay. An example of the way your snare drum once looked is shown below. The use of wood was a response to the stringent government wartime restrictions of the use of metal in domestic manufactured products, including musical instruments.

When the war ended so did the metal restrictions. Slingerland retrofit metal parts on some unsold Rolling Bomber stock in the immediate post-war restart years of 1946 ? 1947. Often this was also done by dealers or drummers themselves. In addition, Slingerland often circumvented the wartime metal restrictions during 1943 ? 1945 by shipping drums to dealers in kit form ? that is, in parts. This was legal since the regulations only applied to fully assembled products. Slingerland simply let the dealers do the assembly.

So metal parts were retrofit on your Rolling Bomber snare drum, apparently circa 1947 since that is when your grandfather bought the drum. Your metal lugs are the correct style small beavertails for late-war to early post-war. Since the Rolling Bomber had wood hoops and clips and Slingerland had no double-flanged hoops that would fit the Bomber?s 6-lug up/down alternating pattern, metal single flanged hoops were used. The single-flanged metal hoop style on your drum was one that appeared on contemporary Slingerland marching snare drums, so it was readily available for application to your Bomber. Your clips are original Rolling Bomber style. Your rosewood strainer body has been painted to ?match? the metal hardware ? this was sometimes done on rosewood lugs as well. Your brass cloud badge is the correct badge for the Rolling Bombers; this is the second brass cloud pictured and discussed on my badge page.

The wide reinforcing rings and interior of your tom that you show look correct. A little difficult to tell from the picture, but the interior may be mahogany or walnut. Look for any reddish tint to the wood for mahogany; walnut is more a straight brown. Your ?red blocks? sound like a set of Chinese temple blocks, very popular in the 1930s and still well into the 1940s.

I would love to convince you not to do any restoration of the finish. The cracks are not a problem unless the wrap is peeling or chipping off. And in this case it can be bonded back down quite easily. A simple cleaning and polishing with some Novus #1 spray plastic polish and your finish will look marvelous. The other parts can be similarly cleaned, as appropriate for wood or metal. This is a nitrate-based wrap, not like modern PVC plastics, but Novus #1 will work nicely. Also be careful as this finish burns if exposed to high heat. Anything you do to modify the finish, remove the drum?s badge, etc, will drastically reduce monetary value. While some people do play them, Rolling Bombers are not really modern players, and those who love and appreciate historical Slingerland drums usually wince at the thought of recovering them. They are true historical vintage collectibles. Of course, this is just my sincere personal opinion ? these drums are your property.

Great and historical Slingerland drums! Thanks for sharing them.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

Thank you so much for your post doc!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here