Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Slingerland Copper Drum Set

I have a 4 piece Slingerland set. I think 72'-73', they have a copper finish on them that is in really bad shape. I would like to replace the wrap . I want the same copper finish and have no idea where to find that type of wrap. I mean this wrap is for real. It used to look just like a brand new copper penny.I'm also looking for a 13" tom and a 14" Floor tom.Slingerland only.

Posted on 16 years ago

This question has been asked before, and from everything I have seen online and with other people with Slingerland Copper drums, is that there are no modern copper replacement wraps.

I have seen a few people restore them back to a respectable shine, but it really depends on how bad the copper is...

Post a few photos so we can see them

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Maybe an email or phone call to a wrap vendor and they would get you pointed in the right direction.

http://www.whimsie.com/copper%20sheet.html

DIY.. now that would be a project.

Yeah, put up some shots of the project that would be interesting to watch.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

copper is thin and easy to work with. (It's probably quite expensive these days. Why not buy a roll and lacquer it to keep it from tarnishing it and wrap the drums with that. It would be very susceptable to dents though.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 16 years ago

That was basically what I was suggesting... but I can't imagine you would make it through the project in your basement without dinging one up...

"OOOP's!!" is such a nasty word when you're working with soft metal.

If cash was not an issue it would be a cool project.Help2

Posted on 16 years ago

Is it possible one of the laminating companies could take the thin copper sheet and laminate it up into a wrap. I have never looked at a Slingerland copper wrap, but I would guess that is what they were using. Those drums were beautiful, but to be rugged enough to be dragged around on a set of drums they had to be more than just lacquered copper sheet. Good luck, I can't wait to see them when you're done.

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey now... so laminate the thin copper on to wrap..nice, now that seems like a great idea.

Maybe this is a little over the top but I wonder if there would even be something like a thin clear you could do over the copper layer, just enough to disapate an impact that could leave a ding or scratch.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here