Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Slingerland COB snare -- ?

Hi, gang -- I'm new to the forum and glad I found it! Maybe you can help. I have a Slingerland snare, black oval #264875. 6 x 14, 10 lugs, Zoomatic snare throw off. Is this a Gene Krupa model? Or....?

Thanks!

Posted on 18 years ago

The butt side of the snare is what makes it a Krupa model.

Does it have an extended butt or standard butt?

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi, Black/Silver Badge? I presume so.

If so, this is most like the Gene Krupa Sound King Snare. Check the shell with a magnet. If it doesn't stick, most likely it is a COB Shell. Mark

Posted on 18 years ago

I've attached a shot of the butt plate. It sure looks like it extends. And it has a COB shell, with a black/silver no number badge. A Gene Krupa Sound King?

Thanks!

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Hey, that reminds me... do I need some kind of special snare wires? The ones on there are standard --

Ignorant minds want to know!

Posted on 18 years ago

You lost me Will. Your first post gives a serial number, then you state it has no serial number?

Aren't these Black/Silver Badge Drums with no serial number an import "Music-Yo" Snare more recently made? Mark

Posted on 18 years ago

Ah, yes. That's my mistake. The drum is in transit, so I'm working from pictures -- one angle of the badge makes it look flat -- but they're clearly visible in another shot. Sorry for the confusion!:o

Posted on 18 years ago

My question then is they had a 5 x 14 and a 6 1/2 x 14 in the catalog

so yours is probably the 6 1/2" and not 6" Let us know when you get it!

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks, David -- will do. I appreciate all the info! Once it arrives, we'll tear it apart!

Posted on 18 years ago

Okay! My COB Slingerland arrived today. It is 6 1/2, ten lugs, Zoomatic. With the serial numbers on the black and silver badge. It really is beautiful. Not perfect shape, but who is?

This guy's a monster! Bear in mind my main snare has been a Pearl Omar Hakim, 13 x 5.5. It's a great snare, but this Slingerland is huge! And it sounds huge! It just arrived, and I'll be out of town for the next few days, so no chance to experiment with tuning.

So what's the verdict? A "Sound King"? In the catalog? Mid 70's?

Good goshamighty it's huge.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here