Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Slingerland Clamshell Radio King question

OK, just bought an 8x14 1951 Radio king, all the parts but not put together. The drum has been stripped and re-lacquered and the previous clamshell and muffler holes have been doweled in, Two new holes for the strainer and butt were drilled, about 2.5" center to center.

Couple of questions

1. Does that hole configuration fit any throw that you guys know of? 2.5 vertical on both sides.

2. For a giggng drum is it worth it to drill out the dowels and put the clamshell back on? I have both sides, one looks a little bent but I'm pretty sure I can get them functioning, I'm just not sure if it's worth it if I can find something else that will work in its place that it's already drilled for, I've read varying comments about the clamshell and I'd really rather have something I can take on a gig and not worry about.

3. My third option is to rewrap and put a modern strainer on there, this would probably create at least two more holes for the butt, I can use one of those dunnets that you can slide the screws up and down on to fit the throw.

Thanks for any help! Not a collector or an afficionado but just a drummer who's been wanting a vintage radio king for some time now!

PC

Posted on 12 years ago

At 2.5", sounds like it was drilled for a Rapid, which is a nice simple Slingy Strainer. Clams are kind of a pain in the butt, but once setup correctly work well. They can be a bit pricey getting it all together but worth the time & coin if you've got it. If you just want to get her up & running, throw a Rapid on there, strap her up & play the hell out of her!

"Play the drum...don't let it play you" - Max Roach

1968, 1974 & 1984 Rogers Dyna•Sonic COB
1971, 1976 Slingerland GK Sound King
1973 Slingerland Festival
1920's-40's Slingerland (US Military) Field Snares (6)
19?- Ludwig Field Snare (US Marines)
1960's Premier Gold Glitter Student Snare kit
1960's-? MIJ Snares (way-way too many)
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here